Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses sizing die wax, to lube rifle cases, instead of oil? What do you think of the wax, and is it worth the extra money? What is the best brand of wax to try?:confused:

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's kinda like chevy or ford, on preference. I've used the Lee wax but found that I needed to clean the dies more frequently. Now I just use the RCBS liquid. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've used Imperial for 30+ years or so...very little goes a very long way...I use it only for hard to resize brass (.308/7.62mm Nato match is a prime example). I've also used it when converting calibers from one to another, i.e. resizing .30-06 military match brass to .35 Whelen.

For all other uses and calibers (.280, .30-30, .30-40, 7x57, .25-20, .300 Savage, you get the idea...a lot), I use one of the sprays...Hornady, Dillon etc. In use, I line up 20 or so cases, mouths all pointing to the right. I spritz down the line, allowing a minimum of spray to get in the mouths...it's a one second spritz...then I roll the brass 1/2 turn on a piece of toweling...I always use the same piece of towel so it's already got some spray on it.

That covers the case with just the right amt. of lube and I have smooth, effortless sizing as a result.

The Imperial is saved only for the tough jobs...and it's worth it not to EVER have a stuck case. In use, I get my finger tip greasy...thin greasy, and lightly wipe the case from the edge of the shoulder down with it...a little goes a long, long way. No case lube is up on the shoulder or neck.

For inside necks, I use a soft #2 pencil and draw a ring around the inner neck. If I get some difficult necks, I let a little of the spray lube get in there and use a bore swab of appropriate caliber to spread it around the inner circumference.

Rod

·
Registered
334 Posts
Who uses sizing die wax, to lube rifle cases, instead of oil? What do you think of the wax, and is it worth the extra money? What is the best brand of wax to try?:confused:
The very best wax, in my opinion, is Imperial sizing wax. A little goes an extremely long way. I also use the RCBS case lube with the lube pad. I use the case lube with pad when I need to full length size a bunch of cases.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I make my own spray with 12 parts rubbing alcohol and 1 part lanolin. Turned out to be super cheap and works well, people say its the same as Dillon spray. I just stand the casings up on some cardboard and lightly mist with a spray bottle. I used 91 percent alcohol and I have to run hot water over the bottle to get the lanolin to melt again but 99% alcohol isnt supposed to seperate and its not a problem. I've done a couple hundred .223 now with no issue. Ive heard that wax is good also.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Honestly, I use synthetic motor oil on my 223 and 30-06 cases. Works extremely well, only need to lube every 5th to 10th case, cheap, readily available, a quart lasts "forever", comes off OK in lizard bedding tumble. Haven't yet found a downside to the oil, nor a reason to use a specialty "reloading" product.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I'm just gonna load 50 or so rounds, Imperial. If I'm loading several hundred rounds I'll use RCBS lube and a pad and roll 'em 5 at a time. I've also used Lee in the past and was happy with it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That can of sizing die wax in LCPL's picture looks a lot like a can of mink oil I have on hand. Guess I will have to try using it. The last 100 rounds of .243 I loaded were lubed with Johnson's Paste floor wax. It was messy, but it worked fine. There were no stuck or hard to extract cases. In fact, everything seemed to work much smoother.....Robin

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
As many people have pointed out, you really can use just about anything to lube cases!
Imperial works great, but if you already have a can of Kiwi shoe wax that works great as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Synthetic motor oil. Dip the mouth in 1/8" of oil in the bottle cap, no need to lube more than every 5th case, cheap, readily available, stores well, comes off well in a tumbler, after 200 (eg .223) cases put a half-capfull back in the bottle, a quart will last forever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.