Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok gang...who are the skeet/trap shooters here?
since im new, i might as well break the ice with a shotgun topic!
shotguns are my life and my passion.
look forward to chatting with ya!
:)

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I tried it a few times and had a blast. Didn't hit very many but it sure was fun. I even went out and bought a thrower and a couple cases of clays and haven't done it since. That's going on my "to do list", thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi. I am a big pistol fan that is looking into getting a shotgun. I shot skeet as a teenager about 8 years ago and I would like a nice shotgun.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my rangemaster is from s.w mich. some town where the coast guard has an annual festival. sound familiar?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't mean to hijack a thread here but since you seem to know a lot about shotguns I seem to stumbled over the right thread. I am looking to get my first semi auto shotgun sometime in the future. I have an 870 but want something that kicks less for when I shoot a hundred rounds of sporting clays. It has to be a 12 gauge and something that is used I can pick up for a good price is a good thing

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I have a Remington 870 with a 20 inch barrel that I use for everything nra 3 gun home defense and trap and skeet. I use a turkey choke for trap and a skeet choke for skeet and a door breacher fo home defense. A good trap session for me is15 outof 25 and 17 out of 25 in skeet. Some complain it is loud but oh well.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I used to shoot a lot of trap ( enough to where I owned 2 Perazzis and a Ljutic), but not any more. My passion now is handguns, but I still shoot league and recreational skeet now and again with a Reminton 1100 Tournament Skeet. Great fun. I still love shotguns, but mostly now for bird hunting.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey bobski - I used to live in MO but can't place Vanzant?

We like to bust clays here! Probably our favorite form of target shooting, both Big Wave (me) and Little Wave (son.) We love our Red Labels and yes, Little Wave often outshoots his dad. Glad to have another shotgunner on board here. Looking forward to picking up some tips and techniques from an old pro!

Wave

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
fertpro....im an old american iron man.
cheap and reliable beats cheap.....
try an old winchester model 50. built like tanks.
so well built, i use them as loaners for my range.

yep...grand haven it is!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wave....its 45 minutes west of west plains on rt 14.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome Bobski! I too love shotguns and trap is my current passion. I have several shotguns and enjoy shoot all of them. I shoot .410, 20 and 12 guage - single barrel, side by side, over and under, and semi-automatic. Shoot better with some than others but practice and fun is what it is all about. I plan on taking up skeet next spring, it's an older mans sport and I"m getting there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to shoot a lot of skeet, but our range lost their program director. There are a couple places somewhat near by but I work an off shift and they don't do much shooting in the evenings.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I fell in love with skeet the first time I tried it. I joined a league, and shot about two times a week until I retired. My proudest moment was winning the gold medal, in the class "A", division of the international police olympics, by breaking 97 out of 100. Not cheap, but it fits me like a custom made gun, is my Weatherby Orion Sporting Clays model. Skeet is great practice before duck or quail seasons.........Robin

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I've been shooting skeet for about a year now. I joined a club around here and it's been a lot of fun. My step-dad's father won a Remington 1100 in a raffle and passed it to him. When I expressed interest in a shotgun, he gave it to me. I'm really happy with it. I bought an O/U over the summer but I just keep going back to my 1100. I parted with the O/U last month for something else and haven't looked back.

Hard to mess with a good, reliable shotgun. And the Remington isn't something I'm afraid to get dirty. It's parkerized with a synthetic stock so I can take it in the woods or the swamp or the quail fields and I don't have to worry about mucking it up. A little Rem Oil on a cloth and she's good as new!

Love that gun!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I enjoy sporting clays and 5 stand. Much like golf some days you cannot miss and other days you feel like you need a seeing eye dog :D. Lots of fun with the right group of folks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I still have my Bicentenial 870 my dad bought me in 1976. I still use his Remmington 3200 over under.

great sport. Take your kids.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey! post a pic of that 3200. i shoot one too.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i love this thread! shotguns are my new favorite thing, and when i say that, it might sound like it's a phase, but it's not a phase. all of y'all out there who have gotten bitten by the bug know it doesn't go away. i hesitate to say this, but i could honestly see sidelining my other firearms for the 12ga if it comes down to cost to go shoot. so far, i love everything about it!

oh and welcome, bobski!

p.s. is bobski a permutation of your name, or do you actually ski? i ask 'cuz my other, greatest love in life outdoors is skiing, since way back.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts