Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot some 240 hardcast over 7.5 of Unique today. They grouped okay,recoil was stiff. But some of them hung up the turning of my cylinder. They didn't jump crimp and weren't loaded too long. What gives ?

·
Administrator
23,035 Posts
What are you shooting them in? High Primers?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the gate was open the cylinder spun fine but when I closed it not so good.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
When the gate was open the cylinder spun fine but when I closed it not so good.
Not supposed to spin when the gate is closed.... I assume you mean when you cock, it doesn't want to rotate?

Your base pin is still in the proper place? Base Pin tip spring pushing the transfer bar away to firing pin? Ie. Transfer bar hanging up on the firing pin?

This problem has nothing to do with shooting Skeeter loads (unless base pin is jumping forward), something else is going on.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I have a 44 flat top Lipsey....that's the modern flat top with the smaller 357 frame .... I don't shoot the famed Skeeter load in it...I've been told lots of folks have found that's just to hot a load for the late model flat tops in the smaller frames...I'll step back and duck now as I'm sure a ton of folks shoot it in that model Blackhawk but I don't....I have a short barrel 44 mag Blackhawk that I shoot the hotter loaded 44 specials if I feel the need...I sort of look at it like shooting +P in a non +P rated revolver or pistol...it may not bust it right away but it's borderline and probably not good for the gun..

If you flat top is one of the old timers in 44 special you might want to have it looked at...they should handle it ... no problem if working right.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
.I'll step back and duck now
You can duck ... but ya can't hide :) . The skeeter load in my opinion is perfect for the flattops. The load has been used in the Colt SAA as well as the old Smiths (Keith for one). Brian, Taffin, Seyfried, etc.... all agree that it is safe. Then you look at the .45 Colt in the same medium frame and it is ok'ed for +20,000psi with .45 ACP. We are talking .452 vs .430 ... so certainly the Skeeter load is fine just from that... Note we not even talking about the Keith Load (17g 2400 under 240g SWC) which I've and others have shot in the .44Spec Flattops :) . I'll say it again... the Skeeter load is 'perfect' for the Ruger .44Spec flattop Revolvers! Nice medium level load. Mine will continue to get a nice steady diet of 'em too :D .

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
Why on earth would you want to hunt skeeters? :eek: Just kidding, I love reading this stuff. There is always something new to learn.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
You can duck ... but ya can't hide :) . The skeeter load in my opinion is perfect for the flattops. The load has been used in the Colt SAA as well as the old Smiths (Keith for one). Brian, Taffin, Seyfried, etc.... all agree that it is safe. Then you look at the .45 Colt in the same medium frame and it is ok'ed for +20,000psi with .45 ACP. We are talking .452 vs .430 ... so certainly the Skeeter load is fine just from that... Note we not even talking about the Keith Load (17g 2400 under 240g SWC) which I've and others have shot in the .44Spec Flattops :) . I'll say it again... the Skeeter load is 'perfect' for the Ruger .44Spec flattop Revolvers! Nice medium level load. Mine will continue to get a nice steady diet of 'em too :D .
I'm a sissy...I shoot really moderate loads so never get into the hotter stuff...arthritis and all just enjoys the lighter stuff...I'm an old time "wild catter" from the 50's...playing with the days of 25-06 and 30-06 Ackley fire formed wild cat loads in "home brew" 03's and 03-A3 conversions...have had my share of really hot loads in both handguns and rifles for a lot of years...I shoot lots of 45 Colt loaded with Trail Boss and only sort of waddling along at 800 fps so we come from a different place these days...I don't think most modern guns suffer much from reasonable loads...but again, I"m a sissy..got a buddy with an older model 37 smith snub (aluminum frame) that handloads really hot 38 special +P and has never had a problem...his gun and his wrist...All what makes a horse race..Cheers

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
I have shot the famous Skeeter load in my Lipsey's Flatop Bisley and it is tolerable, but out of my Lipseys Blackhawk 44 Spec. it is much sharper recoil in my opinion. I have 6 or 8 44 mags if I want to shoot hotter loads. I have backed down to 6.0 grains of Unique with a hard cast 240 gr. Keith style bullet and I find it easy on the gun and the shooter as well as being very accurate. I have finally figured out after 40+ years of shooting hard recoiling guns that shooting lighter loads is more enjoyable for me. After all who doest like to shoot 148 grain wadcutters out of a full size 38 or 357, They are extremely accurate with almost no recoil in other words they are fun.:D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not supposed to spin when the gate is closed.... I assume you mean when you cock, it doesn't want to rotate?

Your base pin is still in the proper place? Base Pin tip spring pushing the transfer bar away to firing pin? Ie. Transfer bar hanging up on the firing pin?

This problem has nothing to do with shooting Skeeter loads (unless base pin is jumping forward), something else is going on.
Sorry I meant it won't turn by cocking hammer not spin.I also mixed some of my pet loads of 200 XTP's and 6.8grns of Unique and it only hung up when it got to a Skeeter load.In other words when the Skeeter round was next to turn to the firing chamber it hung up. It makes no sense to me either.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it probably has nothing to do with my guns issues but I'm gonna back down to 7 grains for the Skeeter loads.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The "Skelton" load (7.5 gr of Unique over a properly sized 240 gr LSWC in good .44 Special brass) has been both safe and accurate for over 50 yrs, in any full size framed gun...(Keith promoted it as well before Mr. Skelton). If the recoil is objectionable...lighten up the load and be happy...but the original prescription is safe. Rod

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
.In other words when the Skeeter round was next to turn to the firing chamber it hung up. It makes no sense to me either.
Well ... makes no since to me either now ... Sorry I can't help you with it from here :) . Hope you find the problem!

I shoot really moderate loads so never get into the hotter stuff
No problem! :cool: Understand.... I am at the stage where 7.5g load is my normal moderate load. In .44Mag, 10g is the load. Neither which I consider as 'heavy'. My dad on the other hand likes to shoot .357 Trail Boss under 125g bullets as that is all he wants to handle. I think they are quite light. So, yep, understand! It's ALL good as long as we can continue to shoot!!!! Just tried to make the point that the flattop doesn't have a problem handling the Skeeter load if that is what you want to feed it :) .

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use 7.0 of Unique behind a 429421 Kieth bullet cast from wheelweights in a 5 1/2" Super blackhawk, its good for 795- 825 FPS low recoil and 2" to 3" groups at 25 yards. My favorite 44 Special load.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I am willing to bet that skeeter load is a reloading problem where the front belt of the lead bullet is hitting the cylinder throat, due to being over sized, and does not allow the case rim to fully seat flush with the back of the cylinder. This causes a the case rim to drag on the breech face of the gun and making rotation hard or even fully stopping the cylinder from turning. Seat those bullet another 10-25 thousands and you problem should be solved. I had this happen in a Ruger blackhawk 41 mag using cast 220 gr. Keith style SWC bullets. The front belt of the bullet is jamming into the cylinder throat that is smaller then the bullet front driving band.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just read Six Guns by Elmer Keith. The guy was the real deal. I prefer the 6 gr load with 240 gr Keith style Swc. In my late 50's and works fine for me. It will ring a steel gong at 100 yrds all day. I want to try 150 and 200 yrds just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am willing to bet that skeeter load is a reloading problem where the front belt of the lead bullet is hitting the cylinder throat, due to being over sized, and does not allow the case rim to fully seat flush with the back of the cylinder. This causes a the case rim to drag on the breech face of the gun and making rotation hard or even fully stopping the cylinder from turning. Seat those bullet another 10-25 thousands and you problem should be solved. I had this happen in a Ruger blackhawk 41 mag using cast 220 gr. Keith style SWC bullets. The front belt of the bullet is jamming into the cylinder throat that is smaller then the bullet front driving band.
That sir makes sense. I'll try it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts