Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my LGS (actually, the store I go to buy coffee, CTC) has a bunch. They're CHEAP!
Is it worth having one? These are Russian.
I know nothing about them. Ballistics? Caliber?
Thinking cheap 30/30?
Educate me.
Lyle

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am not an expert on them, but I did purchase a Chinese norinco SKS back before they quit importing them into the US (early 90's, I think I paid like $80 for it). I wish I had purchased 10 of them :>)

They are a lot of fun to shoot, and pretty inexpensive ammo. There are lots and lots of information and parts out there in internet land to do pretty much whatever you wish.

They shoot the 7.62 x 39 round (think AK)

Mine is pretty accurate at 100 yards. I understand the Russian models are some of the best..

These are very tough, and rugged guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euidB98KiIU

Ron

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
All of the above I would try and buy a Russian made SKS if possible. Yes roughly 30-30 power etc. I do not know whats considered cheap in Canada vs US dollars etc. But I have seen them listed here for around 300-400.00 dollars. My son in law has one he consider's them cheap nothing compared to a AK47 thats about all I know about them good luck!!! I watched the You Tube video this guy sure didn't shoot this gun at very long range! But have to admit they look plenty fun to shoot!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have both the Chinese SKS and the Russian, the first Norinco SK's I bought were going for $60-$80 but had butt ugly red/orange painted stocks. I got a Norinco for a little over $100 back in the days, the Russian one was about $170 around the same time. Both of mine are excellent in bluing and wood finish. Difference in the two is the Russian does not have a chrome lined barrel and is dated 1954 I believe. Both are excellent shooters and more accurate than any AK I have had or ever shot. Both SK's are machined steel where as most AK's were stamped sheet metal and some being milled.
Ammo was going for $70 or so for 1400 rounds then too. :eek:
Good Luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had a couple and like them as much as the AK. They have a built in bayonet which is cool , internal 10 round mag , Milled and built like a tank. Far better than many AK builds I have seen with popping rivets
Canted sights etc. accuracy at least in mine are about 4" at a 100 yards. The sights are like the AK. Difficult to mount optics or red dot so don't bother.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
If there was a company producing the SKS today they would have to charge over $1000 each because they are even more expensive to produce than a stamped steel AK47. So when you see them for $300 to $400 just keep in mind they are a very good value. You're getting a gun for less than half the cost of what it would take to produce one today. Because they aren't being made anymore the prices aren't going to get any cheaper either.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are going for 199$ for wood 219$ for laminate. That's CDN right now that'd be about 140$- 150$ USD.
Buying one.
Lyle

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have a 1956 SKS, first ones made in North Korea with the fiberglass stock and a 30 round magazine. It is a lot of fun to shoot and the ammo is very affordable (7,62 X 39).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Except for Vietnam War bring backs, GONRA'S SKS's came from Shotgun News Ads.
Totals out to Albania (1), Romania (1), Yugoslavia (2), Soviet Union (5), Red China (9).
If you really wanna get into it (wish I had these!) East German and North Korea SKS's are out there, somewhere.... Maybe others? ???
As ya’ll know, these are REALLY neat little guys to shoot!

Regardless of (some) of the crap you might read from "Famous Gun Experts"
Simonov's SKS's are "scaled down" Simonov 14.5 x 114mm Soviet PTRS-41 antitank rifles.
The strange “drop down” stripper clip loaded SKS magazine harkens from the
“bottom loaded 5 rd. enbloc-clip” magazine used in the PTRS-41.
(3 rounds on the RIGHT, 2 on the LEFT or BIG TROUBLE!)

PTRS-41 enbloc clips are rarer than the antitank rifle!
GONRA has 2 clips – for my PTRS-41 purchased in 1964.
Took 50 years to round up clips – in Europe.
European source sez “no more to be found”……
Tough for collectors “starting out”….

·
Registered
734 Posts
Semiauto, wood stock, conventional rifle grip, tilting bolt, 20" barrel, 10 round fixed magazine, free floating firing pin, 7.62x39 (the poor man's .30-30), chrome lined bore, folding blade-type bayonet (Norinco used a spike bayonet, as did some earlier Soviet SKSs), and milled receiver (as opposed to Chinese stamped reciever SKSs). They're good rifles and should cost twice as much.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Semiauto, wood stock, conventional rifle grip, tilting bolt, 20" barrel, 10 round fixed magazine, free floating firing pin, 7.62x39 (the poor man's .30-30), chrome lined bore, folding blade-type bayonet (Norinco used a spike bayonet, as did some earlier Soviet SKSs), and milled receiver (as opposed to Chinese stamped reciever SKSs). They're good rifles and should cost twice as much.
Chinese SKS rifles are not stamped receivers. They are milled.

·
Registered
162 Posts
These are going for 199$ for wood 219$ for laminate. That's CDN right now that'd be about 140$- 150$ USD.
Buying one.
Lyle

WOW! that is a GREAT price.. you may consider buying a couple of them. I would buy 10 :>)..

btw.. here is a photo of my pre-ban Norinco SKS.

Also.. my wife prefers firing it to my ruger AR556.. yup.. I am one happily married guy! The only option she has requested is a Williams rear sight, it will be here in a day or two.

Ron

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
WOW! that is a GREAT price.. you may consider buying a couple of them. I would buy 10 :>)..

btw.. here is a photo of my pre-ban Norinco SKS.

Also.. my wife prefers firing it to my ruger AR556.. yup.. I am one happily married guy! The only option she has requested is a Williams rear sight, it will be here in a day or two.

Ron
I think all norinco sks rifles are preban because they stopped importing them a year or 2 before the larger 1994 ban. Maybe you are just thinking it's one of the ones that came in before they started removing the bayonet before they outright stopped importing them at all from China. In that case I would just call it a pre-bayonet ban gun because like I said I'm pretty sure all Chinese SKS rifles are " pre-1994 ban "

·
Registered
541 Posts
SafetyJoe - GONRA has heard (many times) of Chicom "Stamped Receiver" SKS's .
But never seen one. Wish I had one!
Assume this was a "cost cutting alternative" that "didn't hold up" but specimens got mixed in with the normal SKS's
when imported in large numbers decades ago. ? ????

But Stamped SKS's sure seem to be out there - somewhere...

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
SafetyJoe - GONRA has heard (many times) of Chicom "Stamped Receiver" SKS's .
But never seen one. Wish I had one!
Assume this was a "cost cutting alternative" that "didn't hold up" but specimens got mixed in with the normal SKS's
when imported in large numbers decades ago. ? ????

But Stamped SKS's sure seem to be out there - somewhere...
Less than 1% so trying to claim that all Chinese are stamped is an extreme stretch of reality.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
OP, I'd go in there armed with a bore light, make sure the bore looks good, crown looks good, etc. At that price, I'd buy two of them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You speak of "pre ban"? Can you not buy SKS's in the states anymore? Or just certain ones?
Pulled the trigger on one today. Picking it up next week (bought it on the way to the airport, be back next Friday).
Lyle

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
You speak of "pre ban"? Can you not buy SKS's in the states anymore? Or just certain ones?
Pulled the trigger on one today. Picking it up next week (bought it on the way to the airport, be back next Friday).
Lyle
Yes, you can still buy them, but they aren't importing them from China anymore. Canada still imports them though. As far as I know all Chinese SKS rifles are preban, but the confusion comes because they starting banning the bayonets towards the end of when they were imported. So some are pre-bayonet ban rifles, but all Chinese should be pre-1994 ban because they stopped importing the Chinese SKS rifles before the larger 1994 so called assault weapon ban took effect.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts