Ruger Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Chinese SKS rifles are not stamped receivers. They are milled.
They're not sheet metal, but they're stamped. Technically they're semi-stamped, but it's still stamping. As a cost cutting measure, Chinese SKSs have fewer, simpler cuts made to the reciever as compared to Soviet and Sinosoviet SKSs, with metal stamping being used to approach the correct shape without the need to train machinists on how to make the more complex cuts. Just stick the roughly cut receiver between two dies and hammer away. A very small number of Chinese SKSs have experimental stamped sheet metal receivers, but that is not what I'm talking about.

I think all norinco sks rifles are preban because they stopped importing them a year or 2 before the larger 1994 ban. Maybe you are just thinking it's one of the ones that came in before they started removing the bayonet before they outright stopped importing them at all from China. In that case I would just call it a pre-bayonet ban gun because like I said I'm pretty sure all Chinese SKS rifles are " pre-1994 ban "
Yes, sorry, I don't really know all of the "pre-ban" history, the best I can remember is that I purchased this "as is in the photo" in the late 80's or very early 90's. The only thing in the photo that was not on the original purchase is the black handguard, though I still have the original. And if I remember the norinco's were actually made for the private sector, they are not "surplus". I still have a box of the ammo that I purchased with the SKS, 20 rounds, with $1.99 on the box.

Also as far as I know, the only allowed SKS imports into the USA at this time are the Yugos.

Ron

They're not sheet metal, but they're stamped. Technically they're semi-stamped, but it's still stamping. As a cost cutting measure, Chinese SKSs have fewer, simpler cuts made to the reciever as compared to Soviet and Sinosoviet SKSs, with metal stamping being used to approach the correct shape without the need to train machinists on how to make the more complex cuts. Just stick the roughly cut receiver between two dies and hammer away. A very small number of Chinese SKSs have experimental stamped sheet metal receivers, but that is not what I'm talking about.
Sorry, but you are wrong. You are confusing a stamped trigger guard on the later model Chinese SKS rifles with a stamped receiver. The actual receiver on virtually all Chinese SKS rifles are milled. The trigger guard is separate from the actual receiver. I've never heard of anyone having problems with the stamped trigger guards, but like I already said the actual receiver is milled and not stamped on virtually all Chinese SKS rifles. There are a very few stamped ones out there, but they are highly collectible and very expensive.

Yes, sorry, I don't really know all of the "pre-ban" history, the best I can remember is that I purchased this "as is in the photo" in the late 80's or very early 90's. The only thing in the photo that was not on the original purchase is the black handguard, though I still have the original. And if I remember the norinco's were actually made for the private sector, they are not "surplus". I still have a box of the ammo that I purchased with the SKS, 20 rounds, with $1.99 on the box.

Also as far as I know, the only allowed SKS imports into the USA at this time are the Yugos.

Ron
A lot of the Chinese SKS rifles are actually military surplus. The way you can tell if yours is by looking at the stamps on the side of the receiver. The actual military surplus ones have the triangle plant symbol and 3 Chinese characters next to it. The commercial versions don't have that.

I have a Norinco SKS I got back in 90something,very nice rifle, it has a screwed in barrel, some of the other Norincos are pinned barrel. I tweaked mine somewhat with an Tapco Intrafuse stock set,Tapco detachable mags and a muzzle brake.It will shoot about a 4 in. group out at 200 yds. little more at 300. I paid $145 for it and similar ones are going for $300-$400 now. The stock set,mags and brake cost about $225 all together, I think its a worthwhile investment. There are lots of accessories for SKSs, scopes and mounts, red dot optics, and similar. If you think the price is right pick one up and enjoy!

I have two Russian SKSs that I bought back about '94 for $160 each. I have put thousands of rounds through both of them. I can do torso sized hits/groups at 300yds all day long with open sights until I get bored or run out of ammo. I only shoot Russian ammo because it is cheap but it does shoot pretty dirty. These guns have never jammed and can be shot until they are absolutely filthy. They will shoot when soaking wet or in a sandy environment.

Function over form.....they are ugly but they do work. I have known people that legally hunt and kill mule deer with them but they have to change out the 10 round mag to a 5 round mag(easy to do)and use soft point/hollow point ammo that is readily available.

These guns do work and they work very well. They are not and never will be tack drivers. At one time there was a "Paratrooper" version that would accept an AK47 mag.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.