Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I remember Sky King. Black and white movie based on a flying rancher ?? As I recall, the plane was a Piper Aztec ??

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Watched them both as a kid. Good memories.

Sky King flew a twin-engine Cessna and the Whirlybirds flew one of those bubble-canopy Bell choppers much like we saw in M*A*S*H. Pretty cool stuff at the time.

Another of my favorites was on 1958-1960 when Milton Caniff's comic book character, Lt. Col. Steve Canyon, was made into a TV series.

I really loved that show because Steve Canyon was shown flying the hottest jets of the time such as the F-104.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I totally remember and enjoyed both series as a wild child during the fifties.

By wild child I mean my mother opened the front door at eight am and stood back I we kids flew out for the day.

The door did not reopen until sundown and supper time!

Those two TV shows plus others really grabbed my attention and fired my imagination.

There were times when, later in life, while performing door gunner duties in Uh-1s, I would sit back and grin remembering those great shows.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I remember Sky King!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I remember Sky King also.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
I remember Ripcord too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Watched both of them, along with the Cisco Kid, Lone Ranger, Roy Rodgers, Mickey Mouse, and Superman.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I remember watching the Whirlybirds as a kid. I thought it was a great show and I loved the copters. Never watched Sky King though.

As Tarcher said, I also remember Lone Ranger, Superman, and Roy Rogers.

It was a much simpler time in our lives.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I remember Sky with his Cessna T50...don't remember the Whirlybirds, maybe a little before my time????:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I remember Sky King. Black and white movie based on a flying rancher ?? As I recall, the plane was a Piper Aztec ??
Aztec or Apache? Thought it was an Apache PA23-160...the fun twin that could not maintain airspeed enough to fly on one engine on take off. Had a very critical area on takeoff (much more than other twins) and did crash a lot...not sure .... had a buddy with one that was scared to death of it from the day he bought it....gotta really enjoy flying a plane you are scared of..wheeee..

Sky King was a great show....Penny was hot and the jeep was just right and all without any worry about suitibility ratings, "tell it all stories" in "People magazine" or any other trash...just a nice weekly serial that was clean, fun, exciting and safe to watch.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I don't really remember much about it, but I'm sure I watched Sky King at the time. Don't remember Whirlybirds, but then I don't remember a whole lot about my youth now. My memory just isn't as good as I would like it to be.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
And his niece Penny who was always getting into trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts