Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really been wanting to go to 1911 (I have sr1911 cmd 9mm) for carry and IDPA and just ordered a new sr1911 .45 cmd I may wind canceling it. I also have SA 5” in .45 for just range. However, I am experiencing what I see as a Warning to not consider ccw in particular. I have smallish hands and a little short on index finger apparently. If I index on slide stop pin, almost without fail, when I rack the slide my finger touches the pin and bingo slide locks and I have stop, push in on the slide lock and keep trying to get it to move. Then I have to push the pin back through and after a push or two it pops back in and slide works. Don’t have problem when firing but my fear is that when I may really need to not lock it will. I tried rack with index finger up on slide but invariably I still manage to push it in/out whichever. I have the same problem with the Springer also. Any thoughts on remedy or just stick my Glock? Thanks Vic (I posted this on another forum and got a few tips. Just wondered if anyone here has had this happen)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had it happen to me when I first got my SR1911. I was also indexing my finger on the slide stop end on the right side. I took out the recoil spring and operated the slide many times to see what was happening and realized that it took very little pressure on the slide stop - which is also the take down pin - to push it into the take down notch. The pin is kept in place by the little tab that is retained by the slide except for when the notch lines up. I couldn't get it to happen any other way unless my finder was on the pin.

Once I understood how it works, I practiced handling without putting my finger on the pin. I would have the gun on the coffee table and repeatedly pick it up while watching TV and make sure I wasn't indexing my finger on the pin. Hasn't happened since.

I think the answer to your question is practice NOT indexing your finder on the pin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it happen to me when I first got my SR1911. I was also indexing my finger on the slide stop end on the right side. I took out the recoil spring and operated the slide many times to see what was happening and realized that it took very little pressure on the slide stop - which is also the take down pin - to push it into the take down notch. The pin is kept in place by the little tab that is retained by the slide except for when the notch lines up. I couldn't get it to happen any other way unless my finder was on the pin.

Once I understood how it works, I practiced handling without putting my finger on the pin. I would have the gun on the coffee table and repeatedly pick it up while watching TV and make sure I wasn't indexing my finger on the pin. Hasn't happened since.

I think the answer to your question is practice NOT indexing your finder on the pin.

I had an answer on the other forum suggested index just below the pin on the trigger guard. Pretty much same suggestion. Glad to hear It works for you because I thought dadgummit I am gonna lose a bunch of $$$$ in selling them. Your response is very encouraging.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
As has been commented already, if you practice indexing your finger on the trigger guard, you can eliminate this issue. That's how I've been running 1911s since I bought my first.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think I'm lost. Never heard of this on a 1911. Just means I'm learning.

Right handed shooter is resting left hand index finger on the slide stop?

If so, I'm not understanding how that grip would work.

Happy to learn something new though.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think I'm lost. Never heard of this on a 1911. Just means I'm learning.

Right handed shooter is resting left hand index finger on the slide stop?

If so, I'm not understanding how that grip would work.

Happy to learn something new though.
Right hand shooter, trigger finger on the right side pin end of the slide stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As you hold the pistol with the right hand only, you extend your index finger to keep it off the trigger. As you extend just below the slide you may notice your finger resting on the slide stop pin (Ruger name for part). Now take your left hand over top of the slide and rack it back. I have a tendency to press on the top of the pin as I rack. When that happens it presses the slide stop out of the frame, sometimes, and the result is locking the slide. Not a good thing. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Train it away, slow at first then after a while faster. It will leave like any bad habit. That’s good TV time training.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for input. Gives me a possible solution to dry practice with finger lower, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts