Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my P95DPR over a year now, and it sees a lot of range and carry time, not to mention "tinkering". I am seeing some holster wear in the bluing on the slide.

As most of you know, I love the pistol and have polished some of the blued parts, decockers, mag releases, extractor and slide stop. I was considering Duracoat or Durabake... Wifey refuses to let me use the oven, so I am outsourcing... I'll Scotch-Brite it myself and prep it, then send it for finishing... I've already got quotes from a company in PA, $58 for the stripped slide and SS Chormium M plating. $5 more to hot blue the sights.

Any thoughts on what to have it plated in? Nickel, Chrome or Anodized? Or should I just have it hot blued? Bead blasted or smooth?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I'm guessing you're going to get a lot of different opinions on this. This is what would suit me best; bead blasted and chrome. I love shiny blued guns as good as the next guy, but for a carry and use every day weapon, you can't beat a dull, non-reflective finish.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec P32 with the factory hard chrome matte finish. It's 3-1/2 years old and has seen lots of carry time and the finish shows no sign of wear. It has the look of a dull stainless steel which I like a lot.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
My KP97 has the grey stainless finish and I love it. Have carried it all the time for a couple of years and it don't show any wear.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I like like it is. My next choice would be to bead-blast it & have it chromed. It's durable & will last for a long time.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, in preparation for whatever I decide to plate it with... and Scotch-Brite Green in hand, the task has begun...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wow, you were serious about this weren't you! Now that it's been stripped it actually looks almost like what a hard chrome finish would look like. Let us know what finish you decide on.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have two kp97's. One has a grey bead blasted finish and the other has a mirror finish. The mirror finish is not practical for a using gun. It scratches too easy. The bead blasted finish don't show scratches or wear nearly as bad. I would think that some kind of a bead blasted finish would be hard to beat for a carry gun. I like Stainless because of the rust resistance, but chrome would be the same way.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
RNettles-Armaloy would be my choice-it is impervious-I've had a Stevens 311 and a PPK done in it-slick, smooth, matte, no rust-well worth the money-they quit doing guns for awhile-now will do if sent unassembled-returned the same.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Have you made a decision on the finish yet Rick? (Sure looks nice just like it is, but don't think it's practical.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts