Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New LC9s Pro owner. I have only run 50 rounds thru the new firearm, but have found that the slide release is extremely hard to push down. With the pistol empty, I have to move my hand around on the grip to get enough pressure to release the slide (using the knuckle, not the end of the thumb). With a loaded magazine, I can't move it with my thumb at all. I am shooting with the mag that came with the gun & 2 others labeled Ruger and are PM143 models. Using Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr (white box).

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

MrHix

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Hi,

New LC9s Pro owner. I have only run 50 rounds thru the new firearm, but have found that the slide release is extremely hard to push down. With the pistol empty, I have to move my hand around on the grip to get enough pressure to release the slide (using the knuckle, not the end of the thumb). With a loaded magazine, I can't move it with my thumb at all. I am shooting with the mag that came with the gun & 2 others labeled Ruger and are PM143 models. Using Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr (white box).

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

MrHix
Ruger calls the lever a "slide hold open" and doesn't recommend you use it to release the slide. They say to slingshot the slide to chamber a round. See the manual. The info is roughly on page 10. Here it is:

Slide Hold Open: This allows the user to manually lock the slide open. Note: when the last shot has been fired and the magazine is empty, the slide hold open automatically holds the slide open. If a loaded magazine is inserted in the pistol when the slide is closed and the slide is then retracted fully, the slide hold open will not automatically hold open the slide. The user can actuate the slide hold open mechanism to hold the slide open at any time by retracting the slide and pushing the slide hold open up.

The slide hold open can be released by drawing back slightly on the slide. When the slide is released, it will move forward under pressure from the recoil spring. The slide hold open is held in place by a spring. Therefore, when there is a loaded magazine in place and the pistol is jarred, the slide can fly forward and chamber a cartridge. For this reason and as an essential safety practice, the user should always be careful to keep fingers away from the trigger, and always keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply and for letting me know there is a manual for the pistol. I wish they would include one in the package.

Cheers,

MrHix

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply and for letting me know there is a manual for the pistol. I wish they would include one in the package.

Cheers,

MrHix
All new Rugers come with a manual. Someone or the dealer must have omitted yours. Contact Ruger, they will gladly send you one, no charge.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have yet to be able to release the slide without using the "slingshot" method mentioned above. LC9s owner here with 200-300 rds through it . SR9 no problem. I don't see it as an issue.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ruger calls the lever a "slide hold open" and doesn't recommend you use it to release the slide. They say to slingshot the slide to chamber a round. See the manual. The info is roughly on page 10. Here it is:

Slide Hold Open: This allows the user to manually lock the slide open. Note: when the last shot has been fired and the magazine is empty, the slide hold open automatically holds the slide open. If a loaded magazine is inserted in the pistol when the slide is closed and the slide is then retracted fully, the slide hold open will not automatically hold open the slide. The user can actuate the slide hold open mechanism to hold the slide open at any time by retracting the slide and pushing the slide hold open up.

The slide hold open can be released by drawing back slightly on the slide. When the slide is released, it will move forward under pressure from the recoil spring. The slide hold open is held in place by a spring. Therefore, when there is a loaded magazine in place and the pistol is jarred, the slide can fly forward and chamber a cartridge. For this reason and as an essential safety practice, the user should always be careful to keep fingers away from the trigger, and always keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction.
However, keep using the slide lock as a "slide release" and it should wear to a point where it will be easier to use as a "slide release". However still, when the slide lock then gets worn enough to operate as a "slide release" and begins to fail as a slide lock and/or a "last shot hold open" - :confused:

·
Registered
7,096 Posts

A big +1!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts