Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Walmart today to replenish my 22LR supply. They were nearly sold out: 1-2 boxes of Remington "Golden Bullet" 225 packs, and about 100 rounds of 22 shorts were the only things left. Is this the same around the country? if so, then why?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
That's about what I encounter at our local WalMart here in California. Last week I bought the last two boxes of CCI Mini-Mags on their shelf.

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
I went to Walmart today to replenish my 22LR supply. They were nearly sold out: 1-2 boxes of Remington "Golden Bullet" 225 packs, and about 100 rounds of 22 shorts were the only things left. Is this the same around the country? if so, then why?
Same here in FL. I found out that ammo delivery is on Tuesday nights. I'm there right when the ammo counter opens @ 10am on Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That seems to be happening everywhere. People stocking up I guess. I got tried of stopping by and got a bunch online.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip-I'll try being there early on Wednesday!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I was at a Wal-Mart yesterday (Saturday) morning. The sales clerk said they had some boxes of 555 rounds of Winchester in the back but she needed a manager to unlock it. I waited 20 minutes before they brought it out. I bought 2 boxes even though I wasn't there for .22 ammo. In hindsight I should have bought more. I'm still waiting for the Federal .223 and 9mm. And maybe some stingers.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
No problem here in my corner of AZ. Our WW is stocked full all the time. If the shelves are looking a bit light in volume at any one time, next week they are overflowing.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That's probably got more to do with the manager's ammo restocking policy and staffing availability than anything else. We have two Walmarts in my town. The north store is always stocked, the south store is iffy. I asked the clerk at the north store about the difference, she said they order every day. The south store orders twice a week. The north store does more business than the south store, and the north store has more employees.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Nothing but Remington golden bullets for 22lr and its been like this for 3 weeks. They're pretty well stocked of everything else though.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I went in the other day to get a couple of things and some shotgun shells. They had plenty of those in the 200-round cases. I decided to pick up some 22LR and .223 while I was there. They had one or two packs of the 225 Golden Bullets (which I don't buy, ever) and some CCI 22 Shorts (which I don't buy because I can't shoot them in my guns). They had one box of Tula .223. No brass .223 and no 5.56. It was pretty bare. Granted, it was Saturday so I'm guessing the Friday Payday rush had already come through and cleaned house, but it's been like that a lot lately...

Not sure if supply can't keep up with demand or if people are just buying a lot. I did notice that if you go in the morning on a weekday, you're far more likely to find a better selection.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Our local Walmart sends in orders but they seldom get what they ordered. I travel by several Walmarts that sell ammo. If one doesn't have it another one will. I usually keep at least four 550 count boxes of 22 LR ammo on hand. 2,200 rounds should get me through any dry spell we encounter. That is not counting premium 22 LR ammo I keep on hand for hunting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
.22 lr has gone nearly extinct here in Louisville KY as well. Been trying for about a month to get ajold of a bulk pack or some cci, but no go. All they've had is. 22 short. They did have a couple of those Federal 50 count boxes that sale for $1.77 the other day, I bought em just because they were there and to waste at the range, going to hang onto my nicer ammo since its so sparse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I forgot to mention, the walmart closest to me has limited ammo sales per customer. I talked to the sporting goods guy and he said a local prepper has been coming in and buying every single box of. 22 and. 223 they have before they can even get it stocked on the shelves every week.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
No problem here in northern Mi. I was down in Midland Mi. a few weeks ago and they were flush too. Thats my honey hole for fed 9mm boxes they aways have lots of ball there. The western side of Saginaw is usually flush as well. I have to believe its a managers/ordering thing. If yobarry gets reelected then ammo will be scarse once again, this time it'll be for real.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I gave up on Wally World ammo a good while back. They're nearly always out of bulk .22. Calling ahead does no good, as Sporting Goods rarely answers.

I go to Gander. $2 more, for 25 less Federal bullets. But easier to get in and out, safer parking, and better clientele. They always have a hundred or more blue box Federal bulk, and other choices.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Wow ... This .22 LR shortage looks like it is not just a Kalifornia thing.
In my area, it's just a Wally World thing. All the big boxes and LGS keep some .22, but Gander is the only other place that has Federal bulk, my choice. Even Dick's Sporting Goods usually has a bunch of Blazer.

If Nobama should somehow win on Nov. 6, I look for the shelves to be bare by November 8, though. I think that most places aren't selling out like they did in 2008 is a good indication he'll lose.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not the case at the wally world in Chesapeake VA, they are stocked, always have plenty of 22lr ammo...

·
Registered
530 Posts
.22lr wasnt to bad today. Picked up 550 of federal for $19.99. There was 1600 rounds of CCI in a plastic ammo can for $98.99 I am tempted to go back and get the ammo can.

.223 and .357 now that is a different story.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts