Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found that the Old Army was heavy for me so I slimmed mine down a bit, as I remember I took a half pound + off it.
I machined the barrel octagonal and fluted the cylinder as well as making a new axis pin and loading lever.
The grip was shortened a little and let into the underside of the frame; the frame was also lightened,particularly the top strap.

It became known as the "Rugington"

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Cool.........some close up pics would be nice. Looks like excellent work! Welcome from Texas also!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Very cool indeed. Props to the machinist you no doubt are. I am envious of the tools also you must have along with the skills to operate them.

Of all guns, I've probably done more work on the Old Army than any other. Not sure why that is, but that's just the facts I guess? Here was my last Old Army project and it as was your's reduced the overall weight albeit in a different fashion.

Not the best photo in the world, but shows some of the features like the shortened barrel and birdshead grip. Loading lever's were replaced with manufactured from previous parts, take down tooling among other things. Now in 45LC and quite the handful.

I am interested in what the parent gun's sights were, fixed or adjustable? I can't tell from the picture for sure. I really wish someone would come up with a stainless blank that would fill the adjustable sight channel from Ruger. That has to be somewhat consistent from gun to gun and if someone had a stainless "block" to fill that void, it could be fashioned into a "fixed sight" block as it were to convert the otherwise adjustable sighted gun. Just me I guess? Again, nice work. Smithy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts