Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was intrigued and clicked on a banner ad here on rf.net. If it's as good as advertised, it's bye bye directv.
With The Walking Dead coming back next Sunday, I think the next few days is the best time to activate the free trial period.
I plan to transform my tv into a smart tv through this device
FRYS.com | ASUS

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
WOW! Another solution looking for a problem to solve. :rolleyes:

You really want TWO sets of computer to keep virus out of? :eek:

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW! Another solution looking for a problem to solve. :rolleyes:

You really want TWO sets of computer to keep virus out of? :eek:
I'm using a chrome laptop and android phone, both virus-free the last two years unlike Windows PCs that require annual anti-virus subscription.
The link I shared earlier is for another chrome-based device that will be a dedicated tv compiter but also portable.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything that puts a stake in the heart of cable and satellite companies' forced "bundling" is a good thing.
That's how I look at it too.
Cable and sat are almost monopolized industries and online alternatives are a welcome competition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dumped Cox TV and Internet service over 6 months ago. I went with CenturyLink for Internet service and Sling TV for television watching. Also just added an antenna for under $7 to pick up local digital television broadcast. Most are in HD and I get about 20 or so channels. Total monthly is now $51.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've had Sling since it launched early last year. For $20 a month I can't complain, but it's not like having cable or sat service. The big issue is that the interface is mediocre and changing channels slow. You aren't going to being flipping through channels to see what's on.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
One word. Kodi. It will solve all your TV problems.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I bought a Roku and it works great with a large quantity of channels/services. I most certainly do not see this as just another solution looking for a problem to solve. This type of service is the competition that cable and satellite companies need to provide better services at a more competitive price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Guys, I pay $0 for television. I have a good antenna on the roof where there is more than enough crap over the airwaves to satisfy me.

Not sure how viruses came up, but I have been running windows on desktops and laptops for decades without a single issue. Again, I spend $0 for antivirus software, running Microsoft's Windows Defender. Me and my engineers are also smart about not opening bogus emails and going to questionable URLs.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Netflix easily takes up my viewing time and it only costs $10.
TV in the bedroom gets local channels on hi-def... can't beat that!
I'm overpaying for sat when I only need the AMC channel for the seasonal The Walking Dead.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Have Android TV for no monthly charge and can watch near anything you can imagine.
Yep. thats what Kodi will get you. But on virtually all platforms :) Android, linux, windows, etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was intrigued and clicked on a banner ad here on rf.net. If it's as good as advertised, it's bye bye directv.
With The Walking Dead coming back next Sunday, I think the next few days is the best time to activate the free trial period.
I plan to transform my tv into a smart tv through this device
FRYS.com*|*ASUS
until the networks start charging Sling TV to provide content.. then it's
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. read an article on Yahoo. that if you were to just pay for ESPN alone? it would be close to $40 a month.
so enjoy it while you can.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
until the networks start charging Sling TV to provide content.. then it's
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. read an article on Yahoo. that if you were to just pay for ESPN alone? it would be close to $40 a month.

Sling isn't stealing the channels, they have a deal with them already. Sling is owned by Dish, so it's not some fly by night scheme.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,197 Posts
... if you were to just pay for ESPN alone? it would be close to $40 a month.
I have no problem with the supply and demand curves of a market deciding that the equilibrium price of ESPN alone is $40.

I'm a big fan of Adam Smith's proverbial "invisible hand" doing what it needs to do.

What I do have a problem with is an oligopoly of a handful of satellite and cable companies forcing me into bundles so I can't choose to just pay $40 for sports. Instead, the bundles force you to pay much more for sports plus "real housewives", the Oprah network and other garbage.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I bought a Roku and it works great with a large quantity of channels/services. I most certainly do not see this as just another solution looking for a problem to solve. This type of service is the competition that cable and satellite companies need to provide better services at a more competitive price.
+1!
I cut the cable/satellite years age. ROKU for a 1 time $50 charge, a digital antenna & NETFLIX for $7.99 a month is my total bill & I like it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
There is something about these devices that I can't seem to figure out and maybe some here can shed some light. To use these devices you have to have decent internet to stream video. To get decent internet you have to get it from a cable company. When you get internet from a cable company it is cheaper (amazingly enough) to get basic cable and internet than to just get internet. Once you get the basic package you might as well get the extra channels for another $20. Before you know it your bill is $150 and to reduce it to just internet is not too far off that at $95 or so. How do I beat the system?!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have Charter high-speed internet & its $59.99 a month. It was a lot cheaper for 18 months, then it went up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts