Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the cylinder of the Ruger SP101 & need to either make or buy the slotted screwdriver bit to open the cylinder up & remove the ejector
Saw it was available at Brownell's for $12.49 so I might just order one & put it in my Wheeler Screwdriver Kit
BROWNELLS RUGER® DOUBLE ACTION SCREWDRIVER SET | Brownells
I swear my pin looks longer than that slot is deep? Guess I could always take it to the cut off wheel on the grinder & deepen it as needed, But that was the idea of just buying one & not having to modify any of the tools I already have.. Could use the Dremel smaller cut off wheel too...
My cylinder has .004" of end shake = Not Much BUT have .002" & .003" shims
Cylinder gap is .007"-.003"
Wanted to open it up to clean the most reses were the cylinder turns on the yolk, I can see a few small burrs in the there
Cylinder does spin clean & clear like a bicycle tire
Tool Office supplies Font Metal Auto part
Drinkware Automotive tire Cup Rim Wheel

NOTE: My Cylinder which appears to have been shot five times by the rings on the cylinder face

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have been looking at the cylinder of the Ruger SP101 & need to either make or buy the slotted screwdriver bit to open the cylinder up & remove the ejector
Saw it was available at Brownell's for $12.49 so I might just order one & put it in my Wheeler Screwdriver Kit
BROWNELLS RUGER® DOUBLE ACTION SCREWDRIVER SET | Brownells
I swear my pin looks longer than that slot is deep? Guess I could always take it to the cut off wheel on the grinder & deepen it as needed, But that was the idea of just buying one & not having to modify any of the tools I already have.. Could use the Dremel smaller cut off wheel too...
My cylinder has .004" of end shake = Not Much BUT have .002" & .003" shims
Cylinder gap is .007"-.003"
Wanted to open it up to clean the most reses were the cylinder turns on the yolk, I can see a few small burrs in the there
Cylinder does spin clean & clear like a bicycle tire
View attachment 171059 View attachment 171060
NOTE: My Cylinder which appears to have been shot five times by the rings on the cylinder face
I think I might have one somewhere...gonna have to look.:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have 2-3 bits like this in my stash somewhere & need to go digging & see what I have
Of course, I could find a .025" thickness screwdriver & shave it down to .398 width & cut the slot in it for the ejector rod
I have tried to order the bit in the link & Brownell's just won't load the part to my cart

Finally got the link to work
$20.85 total after S&H + Tax

Thanks!!
Gary/Ruger 10/22

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My wheeler kit came with 3 different ones. Of course before I bought it, I fashioned one from an appropriate sized screwdriver.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brownell's Website is Rubbish
I could not get the payment part of the site to work with 4 different cards, so I gave up
I will cut one out tomorrow from a few extra bits I have
The ones that came in my Wheeler 89 Piece kit are nowhere even close to being the right width or thickness

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still haven't gotten around to making the ejector rod tool for the Ruger double action cylinder but am thinking about taking a break at working on the three guitars in my shop
I have a Takamine & Gibson Les Paul with broken headstocks & a Parker Fly deluxe with a broken top
Thinking about mounting a Dremel to the bench with a clamp & bringing the bit into it for more control than bringing the dremel into the part
I need to disassemble the SP101 in order to check the fit & will add a .002" shim when I do
Gary

·
Registered
119 Posts
Brownell's Website is Rubbish
I could not get the payment part of the site to work with 4 different cards, so I gave up
I will cut one out tomorrow from a few extra bits I have
The ones that came in my Wheeler 89 Piece kit are nowhere even close to being the right width or thickness
Weird, I had an issue similar with Brownells a couple weeks back, 4th time or so it worked..

Reactions: Ruger 10/22

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was a maintenance man, auto body repairman & an auto parts salesman + woodworker & mechanic
Would bet there are a couple hundred homemade tools in my stash of goods
Have more tools than the law allows + my Father In Law was a maintenance man & grandpa was a master cabinet maker as was his father
I have all of their tools in my garage & there are some I have no idea what they where for? But not many
I should post a couple of the unknown tools online & see what I can find out

I'm picking up this Anderson AM-15 & already remember needing a few tools that I let a buddy get & he has passed away
I will need one of those combination barrel wrenches & spanner tools for AR-15s
Still have all the roll pin punches etc.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

The Price was $389 & I just had to go ahead & put money down on it before it disappeared 👍

·
Registered
151 Posts
Weird, I had an issue similar with Brownells a couple weeks back, 4th time or so it worked..
I have dealt with Brownell's for years and was problem free until they 'upgraded' their website recently. Nothing but nightmares since. I ordered a case of 9mm and got 18 loose boxes. The CS rep was not very understanding and gave me a hard time at first about making me whole.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been dealing with Brownells since 1989 and have never had a problem checking out. BTW, the screwdriver bit that Brownells sells has the center drilled out so the pin goes up inside the bit when removing the screw.
Knowing that makes me want one for the next time
Thank You Xringshooter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts