Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Pony Soldier
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since some have been listing their slow cars in the fastest car thread. I thought I would start this thread.
Mine was a 1962 International Scout, had a massive 4 cylinder engine, half of a 304 V8 I believe. 3 speed transmission, 4x4. It would crawl over anything in low range, but was a real slug on the road.
I remember I tried to speed in it, but only managed 76 mph going down a long hill flat out.
I got in an argument with a guy I worked with who claimed his 63 Falcon with a worn out 170 ci 6 cylinder, was slower.
I won that slow race hands down.
What say you?

Greg

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Another former Chevette owner. Top end was about 65 mph and engine noise was so deafening, you could not hear the radio. Suicidal to take it on the Interstate.

·
Rifleman
1,630 Posts
89 chevy S10 4cy EL. 86 mph at redline going down a steep hill. I'd have to drop it out of an airplane for it to go any faster.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Buick Somerset. Was a dog, large over weight dog.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
'94 Nissan D21 4x4 with the KA24E 4 cylinder, five speed. Decent off road due to a super low range transfer and my addition of a Detroit locker in the rear end, which was fun driving around town. Slow on the highway and around town but I didn't care.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The 1960 VW was pretty obvious so I'll leave that out.

The 1987 Volvo wagon, auto, ac, 219K. 'Ran' perfect but the term 'ran' is an overstatement.

Perhaps 'eventual' would be better.

I think my 1949 2dr Chevy 'deluxe' with bondo fenders was faster. It was older than me and I had to have the salesman show me how to start it. No it wasn't the starter on the floor that through me, I knew about that and the starter button was on the dash. It was the weird ignition switch. Tear drop shaped switch had 'off-on-off(unlocked)' positions and they weren't marked. The starter would still work even if the ignition switch was in one of the OFF positions. Manual choke, manual throttle too. Man, was it comfortable and lots of room (esp in the back!).

·
Registered
54 Posts
1988 Suzuki Samurai. 60hp. Top speed supposed too be 74mph. I tried and never could get over 70. It didn't go anywhere fast but went basically anywhere

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
1978 Mercedes 240d

·
Registered
571 Posts
'65 Jeep CJ5 with a Dauntless 4 cylinder engine, 3 on the floor .... all of the aerodynamics of a concrete block .... it would do 50 mph falling off of a cliff

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
1974 Toyota panel van.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
I reckon it would have to be my 84 GMC, with a 305, but it wasn't that slow. I've never owned a car or truck without a V8.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
1979 MB 240D 4 speed manual. A friend and I used to joke about how slow the car was. We would rag on anyone I passed in that car. Getting passed by me, in that car, was an embarrassment.

·
Registered
330 Posts
1969 vw beetle. Probably one of the most fun cars I've had too. Drove that car several times between Southern California and Illinois in the early 70's. Probably cost $30 in gas back then.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1983 Lincoln Continental which also happened to be my first car. It would muster a good 80-81 mph but boy did it take its time getting up there.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
1980 Mazda station wagon, I've seen June bugs that could outrun that car.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
My 1962 Pontiac Tempest. 115hp from the 4 cylinder, which was the 8 cylinder engine but the left side of the engine was blank. It was a joy to work on. Everything in clear view sitting up high and a lot of room for elbows. I'm including the picture because I went in to get 2 new retread tires and the shop owner offered me 2 free ones for the other 2. I told him ok if all 4 were new instead of retreads and he agreed. I was one happy college student.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts