Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to buy a small caliber handgun to pop squirrels, ***** and the like. It will also be the pistol that my son learns tomshoot on. My first thoughts are to buy a used MKI or MKII, but I'm curious if there are any calibers Imshould look at besides a plain old .22.

I am okay with either a revolver or pistol, but would like something I can pick up used for a couple hundred bucks. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
308 Posts
I'm wanting to buy a small caliber handgun to pop squirrels, ***** and the like. It will also be the pistol that my son learns tomshoot on. My first thoughts are to buy a used MKI or MKII, but I'm curious if there are any calibers Imshould look at besides a plain old .22.

I am okay with either a revolver or pistol, but would like something I can pick up used for a couple hundred bucks. Any suggestions?
I don't know the suitability of "hunting" with a .22 LR handgun, but it's an excellent caliber to learn with. Rounds are cheap and learning comes from practice-practice-practice.

Radio George

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I would ge the single 10 or sp101. I know this will get some up in arms but I believe all new shooters should learn on a revovler. I have taught 3 daughters 2 sonsin law 3 nieces and numerous others 22 revolver to centerfire revolver then to semi auto pistol.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I would ge the single 10 or sp101. I know this will get some up in arms but I believe all new shooters should learn on a revovler. I have taught 3 daughters 2 sonsin law 3 nieces and numerous others 22 revolver to centerfire revolver then to semi auto pistol.

I agree 100% on the revolver, and a bolt action rifle is even better to learn safety and gun technique.

Radio George

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I do fine with my 22/45 with a red dot on top, but to make this outing more fun get a ruger single six with .17 hmr. more bang for your buck pop a red dot or a 1 by 5 scope and watch them fall.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Go with a 22 for the sake of learning or small game hunting. Still your cheapest option in a cartridge for those applications.

You can't make a mistake with a Ruger Mark of any vintage. Same for a Single Six of some type. With the Single Six, you can shoot any 22 ammo, even 22 magnum if you get one with the extra 22 mag cylinder. Used both to learn how to shoot a handgun and also did more hunting with either one for small game hunting than with a rifle.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
22lr would work well. There is always 22 magnum and 17 hmr. Those would also work. The Ruger Mark or Single suggestions are what I'd do. They are good, reliable platforms.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think a Single Six convertible would fit your requirements. You can shoot magnums for hunting and LR for teaching your so to shoot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Go with a 22 for the sake of learning or small game hunting. Still your cheapest option in a cartridge for those applications.

You can't make a mistake with a Ruger Mark of any vintage. Same for a Single Six of some type. With the Single Six, you can shoot any 22 ammo, even 22 magnum if you get one with the extra 22 mag cylinder. Used both to learn how to shoot a handgun and also did more hunting with either one for small game hunting than with a rifle.
Agreed. +1

·
Registered
458 Posts

Good luck picking up a Ruger revolver anywhere close to a couple hundred bucks.. Might I suggest a Taurus 941..
I picked this one up used for $260 after taxes.. According to the serial# it's an early one from 1993. I have shot well over 600 rds with zero problems.. Double and single action trigger is stiff on double but very smooth and quick on single.. I love this one!! Taurus has a sketchy rep, but I have had 3 different models, all including this one have been great.

Attachments

·
Banned
308 Posts

Check out Heritage Arms .22 revolvers, I picked up a convertible (.22 LR/ .22 WMR) for less than $200 new and made in America.

Other American gun makers list:

Guns Made in the USA, many types of firearms including shotguns

Radio George

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts

Totally agree +2 I would give an ever so slight edge to the single six if it had the extra mag cylinder. A good used 2245 target would also work well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Only other calibers that fit the description would be 32 Smith and Wesson Long /32 Colt New Police or 32 H&R Magnum. I'm personally working on a 38 Special GP100, but that's because I have tons of reloading supplies in that caliber. Probably not what you're looking for. The 32s would be a workable alternative.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to do some research on .17 WMR and .22 mag. I'm a big revolver guy myself so you don't have to convince me on one.

I have an SP101 in .357 and thought about converting it to a hammer with a spur and using .38s for hunting. That seems like a large hole for a squirel though.

I'll look into Heritage as well, that sounds like quite the price point.

To clarify, deer season coincides with squirel season so it'd be nice to have a handgun that is easy to carry for squirel along with my deer rifle.

Also, I do have a .22 bolt that the kids will be learning their rifle skills on.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A good used single six may be more than a couple hundred bucks, but it's worth it. Your son will use it for many years and be able to pass it down to his kids when he teaches them how to shoot.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Only other calibers that fit the description would be 32 Smith and Wesson Long /32 Colt New Police or 32 H&R Magnum. I'm personally working on a 38 Special GP100, but that's because I have tons of reloading supplies in that caliber. Probably not what you're looking for. The 32s would be a workable alternative.
I can bark squirrels all day with my 32 H&R SSM and 32 S&W longs loaded with 90 grain SWC's at 850 fps. The 32 doesn't need Mach 1 velocity to pop small game.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
22 LR is your answer.
For the cost a Heritage 22LR 22Mag combo is tough to beat. Loads of models to choose from.
Yes I looked at the Heritage today and can't believe how much people love it! And for under $200 is just incredible.

I gotta say the whole revolver having a safety thing is weird and its also a bit odd that it has a halfcock position even though the firing pin isn't on the hammer, but those are things I can get over for a durable and accurate gun, especially at that price!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts