Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weed wacker, chain saw, leaf blower, snow thrower. All four of these things take a mixture of 40:1 or 50:1 gas to oil. Not one of them has the ratio written on the gas cap. Would that be so hard?? Further, I have little bottles of two stroke oil that are 3.2 ounces, but do not have the ratio written anywhere on the container as to what mix you get by putting that in a gallon of gas.

Am I missing something? This is common sense, right? I shouldn't have to get a calculator, conversion chart and owners manuals for everything, right??

Does it really matter that much? I mean, what happens if I use a 40:1 mix in a 50:1 device?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
well the wrong mix the engine will soon lock up. If you want one mix for all of the items, then I say buy Stihl. They have the smae mix for all their products.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That seems to be a universal problem EddieF. I bought a mixing cup at the local Motorcycle shop many years ago. It shows how much 2-cycle oil to add to a gallon of gas to achieve a certain ratio. It is very handy. You can go over a little on your mixture without much problem other than fouled spark plugs. Somethng I learned while racing Moto-Cross & ATV's is, "Oil Makes Horsepower". Not that you need to hop-up your weed eater! Even if you put a little less in the mix, you should still be ok. I do not recomend it though. The oil is there to lubercate & help cool the little engine. I bought 1 gal gas cans for each tool. Just write what each one is for & the mixture, & you can easily identify which can to grab for what tool.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's why I only get the little bottles that say the mixture on it (i.e. pour entire contents of bottle in 1 gallon of gas).

·
Registered
156 Posts
What Kansas45 said. +1 on individual gas cans for individual motors, if the mix ratio is different. And make sure to jiggle or shake the can a little before pouring, if it's be sitting awhile.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Rich447

That's why I only get the little bottles that say the mixture on it (i.e. pour entire contents of bottle in 1 gallon of gas).
+1 on that. not good enough at "eye ballin" it for the right shade of color!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just think it's stupid that they would make a bottle of oil that says add to one gallon of gas, and not tell you what ratio you're getting. Seems like such a basic piece of information: If you add this 3.2 ounce bottle of oil to a gallon of gas, do you get a 40:1 mixture or a 50:1 mixture? Drives me nuts. I have three brands of 2-stroke oil and none of them give the ratio on the bottle, and I have four devices and none of them have a label on the gas cap or anywhere on the thing that says which mixture you're supposed to use with it.

I'd be happy if everything ran on 45:1.

·
Registered
302 Posts
128/40 is the formula for determining how many ounce of oil to mix per gallon. 3.2 ounces in one gallon will yeild a 40:1 ratio

128/desired ratio

tk

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
could be wrong but:

128 FL Ounces divided by 3.2 = 40

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, math guys. If I have a 3.2 ounce bottle but want a 50:1 ratio, how much gas do I add? 1.25 gallons?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
3.2 X 50 = 160 FL ounces or 1.25 gal

like reloading, data is at your own risk as i am not a math guy.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, you don't even want to know how I arrived at that correct answer. I'm glad I don't have a math teacher asking me to 'show my work.'

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Small gas engines were put on this earth to test us,,,,a lot like boils, locusts, and Rosie...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Speaking of Rosie, did you hear she got arrested at the L.A. airport?? They caught her with fifty pounds of crack in her skirt.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

Speaking of Rosie, did you hear she got arrested at the L.A. airport?? They caught her with fifty pounds of crack in her skirt.
Now, now, poor ole' rosie can't help it as it is proven that lesbians can not go on a diet. Seems that they can't eat Jenny Craig while they got Mary Kay on their face!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been using Opti-2 2 cycle engine lubricant in all five of my engines for more than two years and have had no problems with any of them. Says one mix for all 2 cycle engines on the $2.00 package, you mix one package with 21/2 US gallons of gas. Made by Interlube International Inc., Bellingham, WA.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by xlch

I have been using Opti-2 2 cycle engine lubricant in all five of my engines for more than two years and have had no problems with any of them. Says one mix for all 2 cycle engines on the $2.00 package, you mix one package with 21/2 US gallons of gas. Made by Interlube International Inc., Bellingham, WA.
Holy Crap! You made my day, brother. I instantly looked these people up, talked to them on the phone and found out where to buy some THIS WEEK! What a great freakin idea. Thank you for this great tip! Here is their web site if anyone else wants it...

http://www.opti2-4.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts