Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me 300 once fried 45acp Blazer brass that use small primers. Never used small primers for 45acp before.
Does any one load them? Does the powder charge change because of the small primer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've thought about it so I could utilize one type of primer. Haven't collected enough to even have a batch yet. So far I just stick with the LP primer for my 45's.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I came across some brass that took small primers which was mixed in with my once fired brass.
Used the same charge as for the large primed round and didn't feel a noticeable difference.
Mind you, I did not have a chronograph to measure differences.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Reports are that the different size primers don't make much, if any difference in performance. The only issue is when you are loading LP primers, and you try to jam one in a SP case. THAT can cause some excitement.

·
Registered
738 Posts
They work fine...any small pistol primer will do...I use Winchester in my Dillon 550B. Same loads and my chrono shows no difference in velocity compared to large primer type brass. Accuracy is the same in my tests...but they're a PITA to keep separated from my large primer brass. Rod

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
They work fine...any small pistol primer will do...I use Winchester in my Dillon 550B. Same loads and my chrono shows no difference in velocity compared to large primer type brass. Accuracy is the same in my tests...but they're a PITA to keep separated from my large primer brass. Rod
When I 1st. started reloading .45 auto a few years back, I thought of just getting SP cases just for simplicity because I load .380 acp & 9mm, but could not find any Federal & Starline does not make them in SP, so I just went with 3 boxes of WWB to get some brass & it has turned out to not be a big deal at all & I get plenty of brass & it's never SP, always LP. I shoot for 850 FPS with my .45 auto reloads & the brass seems to hold up very well. I have my original batch & its been reloaded about 12 times, with only a few split cases.
I have 250 made up, ready to go & then they will go in the recycle brass bin & I have a new batch all primed & flared, ready to put in service. I have another 300 that I got from 1 of our good members here that are in standby for later.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've reloaded about 100 with small primers using the same recipe for large primers and didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have hundreds of Blazer casings with SPP pockets. I have not noticed any difference in performance of LPP. I sort my brass by head stamp and keep them separate when shooting and tumbling so have never had an issue with mixing the two. They work fine. Just stay organized.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I reload *only* SPP 45ACP. It saves me from doing a primer changeover when switching to 9mm and 380.

Also I save my large primer 45ACP pickups to trade with folks who think SPP 45 ACP is some kind of heresy lol.

Is there a difference? Hell, you develop a load with it and it shoots fine. Any primer change is worth a re-test.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
A friend gave me 300 once fried 45acp Blazer brass that use small primers. Never used small primers for 45acp before.
Does any one load them? Does the powder charge change because of the small primer?
I prime the cases separately (obviously) but I fill them with powder the same as I do the large pistol primer cases. I've tried mixing them up in the same magazine and I can't see any difference in where the bullets hit, the recoil or the way they cycle the action. I've run them through my 1911s (both Colt and Ruger) as well as a Springfield XD(m) and S&W 4506 - I can't tell the difference.

Jim

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The only problem I have encountered is in reloading. Seems the small pockets will not accept a large primed and a small primer won't stay in a large pocket.

Otherwise, they go bang... Just keep the cases separate.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I am one of those guys that doesn't bother, not worth the hassle... Giving them away or deep sixing them is the best solution dealing with the non-standard small primer .45 ACP cases. In my opinion :) . Your friend knows what he's doing :) .

That said, other than the primer, the load will stay the same. And they'll shoot the same. Just have the mixing problem.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I also load only small primer .45 ACP, and have a friend who only loads large. We swap when we get enough, but it's not a case for case swap. I just give him any large I have and he does the same. Over time we're probably about even.

Jeff

·
Registered
490 Posts
I do not load 45 APC but this last year one of the gun magazines had a comparison test between small and large primers in 45 APC with different powders. They determined there was no difference in velocity with the different size primers. I read once somewhere, sorry I do not remember where, that there was more difference in velocity with different brands of primers than there was with large and small of the same brand.

Keep in mind all this is not from my personal experience, just what I read. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
After collecting some Blazer 45 ACP brass from my club, I decided to do comparison test comparing Blazer 45 ACP brass with large primers with Blazer 45 ACP brass with small primers. Using 230 gr Xtreme plated bullets and a load of 6.5 gr of Unique. In all cases I used Winchester primers. For the large primer cases I used WLP primers. For the small primer brass I split the primers with half WSP and half with WSPM primers. I loaded up 50 cases for each type.
I found that there wasn't much difference in the MV of the three test cases. What I did find was the cartridges loaded with WLP primers extreme sprees (ES) was smaller than the cartridges loaded with small primers.
The cartridges with WSP primers had the highest ES. The cartridges loaded with WSPM (magnum) primers had an ES much closer to the cartridges loaded with the WLP primers.
The temperature at the time of the test was 78 degrees.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The only problem I've read/heard about is when someone dumps a small primed case into their progressive press's brass hopper, without inspecting the cases, and the SP case will jam up the press when they try to stuff a large primer into a small pocket. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Along these same lines, has anyone noticed any difference when loading LPP cases with different flash hole sizes. I noticed the difference in the flash hole size but don't expect much difference when shooting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts