Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 327 fed sp101 for CC, were do you revolver guys keep keep extra ammo and in speed loaders or speed strips.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I carry two speed loaders in my pocket. Works for me when I carry the GP100.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
LCR357 in right pocket, speed strip in the watch pocket or in the left pocket

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm using speed strips for my 327. Carry on off side as I can load with left hand.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
jsickle one of my CCW revolvers is the 3 inch version the Ruger SP101 in .327 mine was made in 2008 I just bought it 2 days ago it hasn't been fired so its virtually NIB and boy do I like it!!! I got on Amazon and ordered the Speed strips and a set of speed loaders from HKS as well. Whats neat about this gun is you can also shoot .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W thru it as well. I now have about 160 rounds of ammo for mine now all the .327 FM shells. I am now in the process of trying to find some reloading dies and then pick up some bullets so I can get some shells reloaded for this little gem. I need to go out and shoot it I carried it today but with the aid of a set of suspenders !!! Help out a ton to pack extra weight on your hip!!!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I dont carry extra ammo. I carry a 7 shot 357, and doubt I would ever need that much capacity. I don't plan on sticking around long enough to get into an extended gunfight with someone.

IF you choose to carry a speed loader, practice with it, and make sure it clears the grip. You might be surprised to find the speed loader locks up the revolver when pressed against the grip. Factory SP101 grips will lock an HKS speed loader. Factory Smith & Wesson J Frame grips will lock an HKS speed loader. Hogue SP101 grips will lock an HKS speed loader. Make sure you have clearance when using a speed loader.

I have found you can create a larger relief in a rubber grip by using a woodworking belt sander. Rubber "sands" similar to wood, and I have modified many of my rubber grips to allow proper clearance.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Revolver: Strong side in holster
Spare ammo: Weak side, speed loaders in either pouches or in a pocket.

As I am ambidextrous, I can reload the cylinder with my weak hand. A late older LEO friend showed me how to do it that way 35 years ago. Just seems to work best for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont carry extra ammo. I carry a 7 shot 357, and doubt I would ever need that much capacity. I don't plan on sticking around long enough to get into an extended gunfight with someone.

My sound stupid or parinoid but after seeing that crap that happened in Paris if citizens were able to carry over there I think it would have had a different ending,
6 or 7 rounds would have helped but more sure would be better.
Sure hope to never be involved in a situation such as that but just got me thinking.

·
Administrator
22,142 Posts
For an SP I use speed loaders as they will fit without binding. I have a .357 SP so it's 5 shot. Not sure how he 6 shot .327 would be. For my 642 I use strips as a speed loader binds. Whichever you use practice with them. I use them at the range.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My sound stupid or parinoid but after seeing that crap that happened in Paris if citizens were able to carry over there I think it would have had a different ending,
6 or 7 rounds would have helped but more sure would be better.
Sure hope to never be involved in a situation such as that but just got me thinking.

If you can win the fight against several armed terrorists with AK-47s, who are very intent on killing you, with a small revolver, and the difference is a speedloader and 6 more shots, thats great. I hope you can turn the tide.

My revolver is not for going on the offense. Its for last ditch defense. Im hoping that several shots will get me to cover, and escape. I wont be reloading... I will be running

·
Registered
392 Posts
My revolver is not for going on the offense. Its for last ditch defense. Im hoping that several shots will get me to cover, and escape. I wont be reloading... I will be running[/QUOTE]

there's something to practice, shooting over the shoulder while running away.

most of the shooting in the military isn't where a soldier has a target in the sights, it's just "cover fire" or "suppressive fire" in the direction of enemy fire.

as for reloading, I'd prefer the "New York reload", going to the 2nd gun.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Any reason you want a 327? A .32 cal. is not a service caliber and not known for it's effectiveness in defense. Sure it can kill and I don't want to be shot with one. Silly support for small calibers. Get the SP101 for 357 and you can also shoot 38's for practice and cheaper plinking. The 357 and 38's will be available forever but who knows about the 327 mag.? Harder to find and not mass made like more popular calibers. More bullet and load options for the 357/38 than about anything ever offered. Much better history on stopping people with these calibers. LEO's carried them for decades and decades. If the SHTF it might be hard to get the 327 mag ammo. Will it pass the FBI criteria for defense? I realize their criteria is a bit different than CCP holders but they do look at penetration and expansion. Just my .02 for the bad guys of 2015. No need to "undergun" yourself.

·
Administrator
22,142 Posts
I saw a story about a woman that lived in the Paris attack. The Islamic Terrorist was shooting into a restaurant and killed a guy that was running in there. The woman was a waitress and the terrorist took aim at her and his gun had jammed. That is the point the little 5 shot revolver could have made a difference. I guess they had body armor on so pick an open spot above or below it. He ran off when he couldn't clear the jam and she lived.

·
Registered
392 Posts
here's a picture of an Iver-Johnson break action .32 from back in the old days. my grandmother had a nickel plate version and carried it from the 30's to the late 50's. I think I'd buy a modern, polymer/alloy version if it was available. hmmmm? (ok, I'm a sucker for break action revolvers).

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any reason you want a 327? A .32 cal. is not a service caliber and not known for it's effectiveness in defense. Sure it can kill and I don't want to be shot with one. Silly support for small calibers. Get the SP101 for 357 and you can also shoot 38's for practice and cheaper plinking. The 357 and 38's will be available forever but who knows about the 327 mag.? Harder to find and not mass made like more popular calibers. More bullet and load options for the 357/38 than about anything ever offered. Much better history on stopping people with these calibers. LEO's carried them for decades and decades. If the SHTF it might be hard to get the 327 mag ammo. Will it pass the FBI criteria for defense? I realize their criteria is a bit different than CCP holders but they do look at penetration and expansion. Just my .02 for the bad guys of 2015. No need to "undergun" yourself.
I have a 4" 357 GP100 good gun but difficult to conceal, I have not made my mind up for sure on the 32fed but I do like the 4.2" SP101 (have a 22cal) might even go with 357 and load 38's for carry. Reason looking at a 32 was it holds 6 shells, less recoil to get back on target quicker, I do reload so was going to go with 100 grain bullets.
More info on the 32 fed good or not so good will be welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
I always carry Two Revolvers. When I have Two 5 shot snubs I carry 3 speed loaders. When I carry my 4" 7 shot 357 and a 5 shot I carry a speed loader for each and 2 speed strips. The 357 gun has 357 ammo but, all reloads are 38+P so they work in both guns. Reloads are carried in front pockets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.