Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W Fans:

During a recent visit to a LGS I found a used S&W Governor in " like new " condition, with case, manuals and all moon clips. The price: $499.00. Needless to say, I placed it on Lay-Away without hesitation.

After reading related gun reviews, I found many firearms owners feel this is a novelty gun that may not be a recommended/effective home defense gun. Many stated that a .410 000 buck cartridge would not be effective at stopping criminals beyond 15 ft. Furthermore, others claim this revolver offers marginal accuracy when .45 ACP or .45 long colt ammunition is used...

This has made me reconsider my decision to invest money on this type of revolver. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
S&W Govenor

S&W Fans:

During a recent visit to a LGS I found a used S&W Governor in " like new " condition, with case, manuals and all moon clips. The price: $499.00. Needless to say, I placed it on Lay-Away without hesitation.

After reading related gun reviews, I found many firearms owners feel this is a novelty gun that may not be a recommended/effective home defense gun. Many stated that a .410 000 buck cartridge would not be effective at stopping criminals beyond 15 ft. Furthermore, others claim this revolver offers marginal accuracy when .45 ACP or .45 long colt ammunition is used...

This has made me reconsider my decision to invest money on this type of revolver. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.
Don't be discouraged. Opinons on SD handguns range from snub-nosed .22 revolvers to .50 Cal. Desert Eagle semi-autos. Paraphrasing Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch---'buy what you like, stick with it, and practice. No two people are alike any more than the weapon they're confident with'.:D

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,281 Posts
Many stated that a .410 000 buck cartridge would not be effective at stopping criminals beyond 15 ft.
Most exchanges of gunfire, even in home defense will be 12 feet or less, but even out to 30 feet tests indicate SD rounds or Buck will group tightly and penetrate effectively even through heavy clothing.

000 Buck at close range to 10 yards through heavy cloth. Penetration 10 to 16"
Ballistic Gelatin Results

PDX 1 at 6 feet penetration 13"
Inside the Judge

PDX1 at 10 yards penetration 12"
.410 Revolvers - Guns & Ammo

Disk grouping at 15 yards, all center mass.
Taurus Judge With Winchester PDX1 Loads - YouTube

Of course these tests were with a Judge. That S & W knockoff may not perform as well. :D

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Although I like this guys videos are interesting, I don't like basing my opinions off of them as he gets paid to do this. I prefer nutnfancy, sootch, and hickok45.
I trust Hickok45. He is the real deal. No promotion from him. If it works he says so. If it doesn't work he will also say so.

Sometimes I get the feeling that sootch is paid to promote products.

nutnfancy may know what he's talking about, but he can turn a two minute topic into 45 minutes of video. I have never finished watching one of his.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I really, really, really, would not want to be on the receiving end of a .410 self defense load.

I have limited experience shooting a friends' Governor as well as his Taurus Judge (which he modified to accept .45 acp w/ moon clips).

I liked them both, would opt for the Governor since it is designed to shoot .45 auto with moon clips, but honestly, we spent more time trying to shoot clay pigeons with them than shoot at paper targets..lol

Both were less than spectacular, but at the 8th station on the skeet field, we did manage to break those birds. :D

Should come as no surprise, but the S&W felt like a better quality gun with a really good trigger. The Taurus was still fun to shoot though, he's never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was looking at these guns too. The one that interests me is the Taurus Judge that has a tactical rail under the barrel for mounting a light or laser, and also has a magna-ported barrel to reduce the muzzle flip. They don't show this model in their catalog but the model # is 4510KR-3SSR or 3BR for blued model. That thing set up with Crimson Trace laser grips along with a Streamlite under the barrel would be a neat, compact set-up for home defense.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
When it comes to reviews...I drive a 1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3L turbo diesel motor. There is a 'good' diesel mechanic 1.1 miles from my house who, admittedly, hates Ford engines. There is another 'good' diesel mechanic 21.0 miles from my house, who absolutely LOVES Ford trucks, especially the 7.3L turbo diesel...guess which mechanic I take my truck to? Gun reviews are the same way!

When it comes to home/personal defense, bigger is better, especially when up close and personal! Winchester's PDX1 240 grain JHP is an excellent round and should work just fine in any sized room in the average home! .45 acp will also work!

I'd say, go ahead and get it! 'Novelty' guns, over the years, can be a lot of fun to own and shoot!

When it comes to reviews...Hickock 45 rules!

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
I actually had a chance to shoot one last night. Both .45 and .45 long colt shot about the same. At about 25ft. it shot great 2" groups. Then we shot it off the bench at 25 yrds. and it was all over the target. Great trigger, comfortable to shoot with moon clips and .45 auto. The .45 colt had pretty good muzzle flip but not bad. Fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
One "novelty" about these guns is they are outlawed in California because they are considered to be equivalent to a sawed-off shotgun.

We can't own them in handgun form.
The can sell the Rossi (Taurus) Circuit Judge here.
It has a longer barrel and a shoulder stock so is considered to be a rifle/shotgun.
I watched a guy shooting one at the range and it looked like fun.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I worked a part time job at a local gun store in the early 1990’s were we displayed and sold numerous Thunder Five revolver’s, which I consider superior to the current Taurus and S&W model’s. The Thunder Five and gun store I worked at are long since gone but my opinion of the Thunder Five as a neat gun remains. As for the S&W Governor, well it’s certainly got cool factors and would be a fun gun to own. 410 buckshot, 45 Colt and 45 ACP fired at room distance in a house will hit to point of aim, don’t even worry about that issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.