Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Smith & Wesson guys...got a question.

I have an opportunity to buy a new 686+ for a few dollars more than an older model 66-4 in excellent condition. Which do you think I should get and why? I think I'd rather stay away from the internal lock and the laser engraving. But I also like getting a good deal on a new gun that I could possibly end up making a dollar or two on. What do yall think?

*Edit - This purchase will be for concealed carry.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If your just looking at flipping the gun for a later profit then go with the 686+ but if you think you might hang on to it as a shooter or collector item then go with the 66-4.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to use a lot of .357s, stay away from the 66s. I just got a 66-2 and after doing enough research, they are really not made for regular .357 use.

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
The 66 is a K frame gun if it has a pinned barrel and counterbored cylinder I would personally go for that one, The 686 is an L frame gun with a K frame grip it will be slightly more durable due to the larger frame but if you are not shooting magnums all of the time but the 66 will last a lifetime and will most likley have a smoother trigger pull , especially if you shoot 38 specials out of it.
The legendary lawman and gun writer Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton both used a model 19 and shot a lot of magnums out of it and the 66 is the stainless version of the same gun.
Good luck on your choice as either one is a good gun.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I do not have a 66, but I have a 3" 65-3 and it would serve excellently for a carry gun. So if you wanted it for carry, I would take a 2.5" 66 over a 686 every time.

P.S. As mentioned, there's no shortage of K-frames around with high round counts, so it is not like they are absurdly weak or anything. Stay away from shooting a lot of 125gr or lighter, as those are the rounds with the reputation for killing k-frames.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a new 686+ for a few dollars more than an older model 66-4 in excellent condition. Which do you think I should get and why? I think I'd rather stay away from the internal lock and the laser engraving. But I also like getting a good deal on a new gun that I could possibly end up making a dollar or two on. What do yall think?

*Edit - This purchase will be for concealed carry.
I would say neither of those are very good carry guns for everyday use. Too large, except with heavy clothing in winter. I would go for the model 66-4.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say neither of those are very good carry guns for everyday use. Too large, except with heavy clothing in winter. I would go for the model 66-4.
Welcome to the forum Don! I have found out after carrying for a while now that I can carry a bigger gun than what I thought I originally could. I guess my body type plays to my part.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, here's what I ended up with....a model 66-4, 2.5"barrel. Can't wait to get it here. :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats! I'm waiting for the paperwork to get completed for my 629 in 5".

.44 Magnum baby!
That's the next revolver on my list. I love shooting the .44 mag. The 5" barrel has a nice feel to it too. Congrats to you as well my friend! Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
66 if you are going to carry. 686 if you are going to shoot ALOT of magnum rounds.

I had a 586, 66, and a 2 1/2" 19. I really preferred the K frames!

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's the next revolver on my list. I love shooting the .44 mag. The 5" barrel has a nice feel to it too. Congrats to you as well my friend! Enjoy!
Ok my long journey to getting a .44 Magnum is over! I had a credit at my local gun shop, so I told them order me a 629 5" Classic.

That was in July 2012. Fast forward to December 14, 2012. Call up the store.
No...still waiting, not in stock (I was told 4-6 weeks when I first ordered it).

So I go to another local store, what do I find? 6" 629, 5" 629 in stock! So I buy it, wait the 3 weeks for Firearms Canada to do their slow thing (Buying a restricted weapon near Christmas not a good idea in Canada.)

So this Thursday, I get the call, paperwork is done, pick it up. I did and I took it to the range. Amazing! Although the recoil will take me some time to get used to. But went through a 1/2 box of .44 Magnum and 1/2 box of .44 Special (Which felt more like .38 Specials by comparison!)

In short. I'm happy! I love Ruger Revolvers, but I have to say. The Smith is worth every penny!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool. It's a nice looking revolver. I hate that you waited that long for nothing though.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Ok my long journey to getting a .44 Magnum is over! I had a credit at my local gun shop, so I told them order me a 629 5" Classic.

That was in July 2012. Fast forward to December 14, 2012. Call up the store.
No...still waiting, not in stock (I was told 4-6 weeks when I first ordered it).

So I go to another local store, what do I find? 6" 629, 5" 629 in stock! So I buy it, wait the 3 weeks for Firearms Canada to do their slow thing (Buying a restricted weapon near Christmas not a good idea in Canada.)

So this Thursday, I get the call, paperwork is done, pick it up. I did and I took it to the range. Amazing! Although the recoil will take me some time to get used to. But went through a 1/2 box of .44 Magnum and 1/2 box of .44 Special (Which felt more like .38 Specials by comparison!)

In short. I'm happy! I love Ruger Revolvers, but I have to say. The Smith is worth every penny!

Gotta agree! I love my many Rugers but I do enjoy my 629 Classic. If I hunt with my Ruger M77/44 the 629 is on my hip. Last outing at the range I must have shot 150 rounds of .44 Mag through it and had a ball. Great shooter and a nice crisp trigger. I did put a Hogue grip on mine - factory grip was busting my knuckle. Only other issue is the extractor rod has a tendency to work loose but I bought a tool from Brownell's and can keep it real tight to about the 200 round mark then I need to tighten it again. (I'm just a bit leery of using loctite...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your going to carry alot would not the 66 weigh alittle less? My 642 air weight feels great and I carry it quite alot. Both the 66 and the 686 are great pieces. Its really what your most comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts