Ruger Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
617-6 bad experience

I hadn't had a revolver in a very long time, wanted a .22lr, and was advised to pick up this model. Bought one new and immediately had to return it to S&W because it was spitting lead at me. Got it back after a couple of weeks and they had recut the forcing cone and "repaired" the crane. Shoots great now, but how can an expensive revolver possibly leave the factory in that condition.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Beautiful guns everyone!

I’m looking for a used 617 in 6” myself. Found a used one in the LGS. The hammer and trigger finish are gone. If I purchase a used one in this condition what is the best way to restore to a bright finish on these parts? Or would you?

If I take a two hour drive I can get a new one for $668 + tax ...brings it to $714ish..ouch!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger on a new 617. Won an auction bid that was very reasonable.
Love love Stains “less” Steel!
Had a great first day breaking it in all at 42 yds. Very accurate revolver. I hope to catch up to it soon!

Time to repaint the targets!

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Question: Is it safe to dry fire a 617-6 (22LR) with the cylinder removed? It seems like there would be no problem...would like to do some dry firing inside home at times.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beautiful revolvers thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Question: Is it safe to dry fire a 617-6 (22LR) with the cylinder removed? It seems like there would be no problem...would like to do some dry firing inside home at times.
Thoughts?
#4-6-8 x 7/8" drywall anchors make great snap caps for .22LR

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thoughts?

I am not sure how you would do that without a lot of work. The center 'pin' in the ejector star needs to be in place and pushing back on the cylinder latch in order to cock the hammer. Try dry firing with the cylinder open to see what I mean.
You can pull the cylinder latch back while the cylinder is open and 'dry fire' but now your grip is changed so ......

Bruce

41 - 55 of 55 Posts