Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1
I鈥檓 loving my Rec Tec brand smoker. (As advertised on the Rush Limbaugh show. :)) This thing is amazing! My first brisket went on at 6:00am this morning and is almost ready twelve hours later, and looks and smells incredible. Why did I wait so long to get a pellet smoker???!!!

Registered
I have a Traeger and thought the same thing.

The local BBQ joints will suffer now when I can smoke a damn good brisket now or pork or chicken and etc.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #3
I think Traegers are great and you can鈥檛 go wrong with any respected brand. I only went with Rec Tec on the advice of a friend who has a bunch of trophies from major, national BBQ competitions and said they are currently the best bang for the buck.

My Rec Tec held the temperature within one degree of the 225 setting all day, on a hot windy day. It did just as well on a freezing cold day the first time I used it. And it鈥檚 all controllable from my iPhone. It鈥檚 a great machine!

The brisket is indoors now resting under aluminum foil and towels. Life is good.

Registered
Does anyone have any experience with Oklahoma Joe smokers? They have a side fire box with a reverse flow to allegedly force the smoke both under and over the meat. A neighbor just recommended it. He鈥檚 had five different smokers - some costing thousands and claims this $700 smoker (actually $500 list + shipping, tax) is hands down a winner. I鈥檓 considering one. No real experience with smokers...

Registered
Since I am new to smoking, I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Including the six prong digital thermometer I spent less than $300. I figured if I didn't like it I wouldn't have invested too much. Well - the wife and I love it. We have smoked whole chickens, pork loins, pork ribs, beef ribs and brisket and are in love with smoked meat! At this point, I don't think I need anything else except more meat!

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #6
Oklahoma Joe was on the list that I researched. After spending some time on dedicated smoking forums, I found a trend with people saying they had some issues holding temperature, and needing a lot of user 鈥渕ods鈥 to improve them. Don鈥檛 trust me though. Check out some forums yourself.

I went with Rec Tec because they hold the actual temperature within two degrees of the setting and are totally Wi-Fi controllable from the app. I really didn鈥檛 want to mess with heat fluctuation.

The brisket was probably the beat I鈥檝e ever had, by the way!

Registered
Oklahoma Joe was on the list that I researched. After spending some time on dedicated smoking forums, I found a trend with people saying they had some issues holding temperature, and needing a lot of user 鈥渕ods鈥 to improve them. Don鈥檛 trust me though. Check out some forums yourself.

I went with Rec Tec because they hold the actual temperature within two degrees of the setting and are totally Wi-Fi controllable from the app. I really didn鈥檛 want to mess with heat fluctuation.

The brisket was probably the beat I鈥檝e ever had, by the way!
Thanks

Cat Herder
I have a Pit Boss gas smoker that I think Ingot on sale from Dicks for $160 (no hate needed, they actually had it in stock and cheaper than everyone else). Someday I may upgrade to a pellet, but for the price it is hard to beat. And I can make my own wood chips. I used to have a Weber Smokey and rarely used it (couple times a year). I've been using the gas smoker probably every other week. It doesn't hold perfectly steady on temp since it is a gas flow knob (ambient weather affects it), but it has worked really well so far. I probably won't take on any overnight jobs, but otherwise it's good. If you are new to smoking, I highly recommend it as it doesn't break the bank and is easy enough that you can decide if you like smoking. Definitely don't start with a charcoal unless you can get it super cheap (my Weber was $54 on clearance).

With gas, electric, or pellet if you need to change temperature it's pretty quick (a few minutes to see the change), if you go charcoal vertical model its adust a vent or two and then wait an hour. And if it goes out you are screwed. I have no experience with side fire charcoal, but probably not as easy as gas electric or pellet.

Registered
My Pellet smoker is a ZGrill other then putting a gasket around the lid I have done no other Mods to it. I get as good BBQ as I get off my wood smoker the big difference is I can set it and forget it for hours it hold temp to what I set it at a 20 pound bag of pellets gives me at least a 12 hour cook and with the Thermoworks Signals monitoring it I can go off for hours and come back to great food. If I am using the Vert wood fired smoker I have to tend it all day long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts