Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase snap caps for my .416 Ruger. Having not found any on the market, I thought that since "The cartridge is based on the .375 Ruger case which was necked up to accept a .416 in (10.6 mm) bullet", I might be able to use a .375 Ruger snap cap. Thoughts on whether or not this might work would be most welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum from Illinois.
Sounds to me, that if the cartridge chambering is the same, the neck will make no difference in the form of a snap cap. Cycling may be another story.
Although I don't subscribe to it, most Ruger firearms can be dry fired.
The flip side, is taking an old 416, re-sizing it, removing the primer and gluing a small piece of UHMV polyurethane in the primer pocket to absorb the firing pin impact.
Or a high density silicone. Although the silicones tend to collapse after a while and need to be watched or replaced.
Will need to insert a projectile in it with correct COL for alignment and cycling purposes.
Maybe mark the projectile or case with red permanent marker.
Think I would try the .375 snap cap first. Although it may not feed/cycle correctly in the necked down version. Can't hurt anything.
Probably be good for simple trigger feel/practice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I will try as you suggest: will start by purchasing .375 Ruger snap caps and see how they work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts