Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you guys ever bought snap caps for a 12ga? i bought a couple from a-zoom, and i've cycled them through a few dozen times. now the paint/finish is chipping and even the metal is getting nicks, dents, gouges, etc. is this typical of all snap caps, or just a-zoom? there seem to be a couple companies out there such as traditions performance firearms and aa that make snap caps that look better, although the aa ones look for all the world like live shells. any thoughts about any of those brands? are my expectations off?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
arg0naut22, I bought a package of 20 ga. snap caps so my son could practice loading/cycling/unloading his 870 and we quickly noticed the same thing. The ones we bought were made of aluminum and the pump action chewed them up pretty quick. I was disappointed just as you are now - they're not cheap! But I didn't want my son practicing with live rounds.

If you find dummy loads that look like live rounds and can tell that they're made of brass like live rounds then you may have something that will hold up. We decided to stop using the ones we bought and figured some time shooting clays would do to get the process down.

I would definitely take a couple of snap cap/dummy rounds with you if you ever decide to look at used over/unders. They are useful in determining if the extractor/ejector mechanisms are functioning correctly. But the aluminum/plastic ones sure don't hold up in a pump gun.

Wave

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, waveform. not happy about the azooms, but glad i'm not the only one who thinks they're poorly made. and as you said, they're not cheap. i saw some of the plastic ones online, too. even some made (or marketed) by beretta, but i wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole. maybe they're ok-- i just don't see how plastic could possibly hold up for very long. i think i'll sink a few more bucks in and get the brass dummy rounds. another nice trip to the trap range today, btw. think i'll start a separate thread on that one, as i have several questions/ideas that came to mind today, but darn if that wasn't fun (again)!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a handfull of plastic 12 gauge caps and they broke apart real quick. I have 4 a-zooms in 30-30 and they are pretty beat up, but still doing their job. Solid brass snapcaps would be ideal!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a handfull of plastic 12 gauge caps and they broke apart real quick. I have 4 a-zooms in 30-30 and they are pretty beat up, but still doing their job. Solid brass snapcaps would be ideal!
have either of you guys seen the ones that look like real shells (only a little shorter and stubbier)? they seem to be cheaper than the solid brass ones, and i'm hoping they might hold up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I haven't seen those. I'll have to research those later. The only problem I can see with ones that look like real shells is that a mistake could be made and a real shell mixed in. If they're shorter and stubbier (and hopefully a weird color) maybe they'd be safe.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I haven't seen the ones that look like real shells either. But then I haven't been looking either! Another fun episode at the trap range, eh? That can get really addictive...

A buddy has invited me to shoot sporting clays at his club this week and I may sneak away from work and try to do that. I've never shot a round of sporting clays but it sure sounds like fun. He shoots in competitions so he's really into it. I'll probably look like a fool but who cares!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't seen the ones that look like real shells either. But then I haven't been looking either! Another fun episode at the trap range, eh? That can get really addictive...

A buddy has invited me to shoot sporting clays at his club this week and I may sneak away from work and try to do that. I've never shot a round of sporting clays but it sure sounds like fun. He shoots in competitions so he's really into it. I'll probably look like a fool but who cares!
who cares how you do! a day shooting is better than a day working, hands down!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i went ahead and ordered the aa snap caps that look like the real thing (only shorter). should get them mid to late this week. i'll give you guys a "range report" on them when i get them. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts