1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Some of those are pretty clever!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Look cool, wonder how hard it would be to find something to cover it that the wife could live with.

·
Registered
286 Posts
One of those would be pretty cool to have in a shop or in a basement. If you really wanted to display some collector items you could always get some glass cut to fit and make a cool display case.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Or put a hidden piano hinge on that mirror

·
Registered
115 Posts
Look nice but I think a Secured Gun Safe is still the best bet.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I really like but would definitely buy one if it had some lock on it of sorts. I could add one but I think it should have one built in.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well, that original post of in-wall storage is OK, but make sure that it is an exterior wall; otherwise it would be simple to bust through the drywall on the other side to access the goods.
The safeguard wall safe in the video is much more clever; if one wants to know where to get those magnetic locks, send me a PM and I'll tell you the vendor (they are online). I've used those mag locks, and they are quite nifty.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Definitely saved that bookmark. Thanks for the link. Could use a couple of them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
nice, but $375 seems steep for what it is. A half sheet of 1/4 inch Melamine-covered and a few hours will create a dressed out cavity between the studs.

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
I like those. Gives me ideas on how to spend money I do not have!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have a good safe, so I'm not overly concerned with theft. I've done all I reasonably can in that regard.

What is more concerning to me is where do you hide stuff if we get to the stage that the jack-boots come calling, demanding that you surrender your unregisitered/unapproved items. Where do you hide them? You can count of those guys knowing all the tricks and what might be available, such as these items. A metal detector would quickly locate stuff that is hidden in walls, attics, under floorboards, or even buried.

What do you do?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a good safe, so I'm not overly concerned with theft. I've done all I reasonably can in that regard.

What is more concerning to me is where do you hide stuff if we get to the stage that the jack-boots come calling, demanding that you surrender your unregistered/unapproved items. Where do you hide them? You can count of those guys knowing all the tricks and what might be available, such as these items. A metal detector would quickly locate stuff that is hidden in walls, attics, under floorboards, or even buried.

What do you do?
I seriously doubt it would ever come to that though despite all the goings on of late.

Still, I have been thinking about that myself...hiding spots that is. Since the NSA/CIA/FBI/etc own the internet :) I choose not to share those with them and consequently you :)

Back to the OP though. A problem I see with these sort of storage options is that you limit your future options for furniture on that particular wall. Not that its all that big a deal, patching a hole in drywall is simple enough but there is that hassle.

If a fella wanted a more secure type wall "safe" as it were you could find a wall that has a lot of dead space behind...think under stairs for example. I can think of several spaces like that in my house.

You could also easily change interior an wall if so inclined to 2x6, 8, 10, 12 studs to install a more secure safe than these seem to be. Even load bearing walls are simple to change and you could incorporate the safe into the load bearing job if you wanted to remove a stud.

All sorts of possibilities here.

I like the under-the-bed type safes for those that need to "hide" the safe. In my present storage-challenged-in-general house I don't have much space unless we want a larger safe out in the open which "She" doesn't and I don't want it in the garage so we have several smaller storage options to just keep the kids from gaining access. They would do little to nothing to protect them from theft...guess thats where my insurance would come in to play.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

What is more concerning to me is where do you hide stuff if we get to the stage that the jack-boots come calling, demanding that you surrender your unregisitered/unapproved items. Where do you hide them? You can count of those guys knowing all the tricks and what might be available, such as these items. A metal detector would quickly locate stuff that is hidden in walls, attics, under floorboards, or even buried.

What do you do?
Get creative. Hardware stores are your friend.
Study history. Lots of stuff got hidden during WWII.

And don't bury anything in your yard.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts