Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a lcr 9mm, i went and got me a desantis sof tuck. it is very soft suede, the shop owner told me never use silicone or dressings as they contain oil. however he said that using atsko sno seal beeswax will stiffen the leather. he said to wrap my gun in plastic wrap, warm the holster and wax, put the wax on the holster letting soak all it will do, then put it in a vacuum sealer bag and draw all the air out. he said the wet holster will form around the gun, give it 24hrs for the holster to dry and remove it from the bag. he said the sof tuck will be stiff and formed to my gun. he said the wax will not harm the holster but will make it better and as stiff as a much more expensive holster. never used this wax and was wondering from ya'll who own holsters if ya'll use anything. just trying to save a little if this holster is good and so far i like the way it fits, if i could make it stiffer for just a few bucks that would be great but i don't want to harm it. thank

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have used sno seal on holsters in the past. I cannot say I ever noticed them becoming stiffer but maybe I wasn't looking. I still use several of them and they are 40 years old or close to it. One of them an old Bianchi the strap is cracked but I don't think it is the sno seal it is probably from daily use in wet nasty conditions for a lot of years.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have used sno seal on boots for years, and used soft IWB holsters for years, but never thought of combining the two. The process you describe would yield the described results.

I don't think that the wax will make the holster stiff enough to one hand re holster, also sno seal is a little tacky which may be uncomfortable against skin.

If you just want the holster moulded to the gun, just carry it and time will do that.

This does sound like a great idea if you carry a blued gun and want to sweat proof the holster to prevent rust, but that is not an issue with the LCR.

Heat is your friend when working with sno seal, I use a hair dryer.
To add wax, heat the leather, rub in sno seal and it will melt and soak in.
If you want to remove wax, heat the leather, and blot with paper towels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
this might work.
though it sounds like he has it a bit confused with the process of waxing a knife sheath, done with canning and/or beeswax.
research waxing a knife sheath, there are some good youtube vids on it, before you start.

Bottom line: NEVER soften the leather of a sheath or holster, they need body to function.

·
Super Moderator
21,666 Posts
I have had issues with snow seal turning milky white on holsters if they are stored. I use cordovan shoe polish and have not noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thanks i'll leave it alone. it against my skin and body heat might be a problem. i do have one more question, do the threads on the holster need anything over time? i know right now they're fine but after a few months to a year should i put anything on the threads? thanks

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Leave your holster as is it will be fine I have never had to worry about the thread in any of my leather holsters good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts