Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about picking up a 22LR snub to plink with. Would it be better to look for a used High Standard or Taurus in the $250-$300 range or just shell out $400 for an LCR 22? I have 3 older H&R's and a couple of High Standards, but they all have longer barrels.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have fired thousands of rounds in a LCR 22, but I have always considered it a trainer for the center fire LCR. It's a great gun to learn the double action trigger. Without a single action it is limited as a plinker. When or if Ruger makes the 3", adjustable sight, with a hammer version of the LCR in .22, that would be a better plinker.

Don't over look the SR22 pistol, lightweight, compact, not too expensive, easier to disassemble than a MK III, and fun to shoot.

Just my thoughts, good luck with your new plinker.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I like the High Standard as I have two and am very happy with them. About 2,000 rounds and no issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, a snub is for ease of concealment, but the shorter bbl and sight radius lacks accuracy. If you just want it for plinkin, and dont need to conceal it, why not go with a longer bbl ?

Admittedly, a snub looks cooler, but if the whole point of fun is hitting what you aim at, go for something more accurate..... 3" at least I would say....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like a 3" barrel with an exposed hammer, but most of the ones I have seen are quite a bit more than $400. Like CJ9Dave said, if Ruger would come out with a 22 LCR-X model I would love to have one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The SP-101 revolvers with the 3" barrel seem to be a little tougher to find. Even the ones with the 4" barrel are getting close to the price the price of a S&W.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Would you consider Single Action? Bearcat? Shopkeeper? Single Six/Ten?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Warning!!!

First let me say that I a a huge Taurus fan, and this is not a Taurus bash. Personally I own several Tauri in .38spcl, and love each and every one of them. My daily carry is a Taurus. However, a trigger in a .22LR with a traditional double action trigger is a tricky thing to get right apparently. If you take a look at the customer reviews of most Taurus .22LR's you will see some horrid statements about trigger pull. Yes spring kits can be modified, but go a little too light and you have failures to fire. I don't imagine that this problem is unique to Taurus, but I haven't heard of this issues with Ruger. Dig around, you will quickly see what I mean.

That being said, Taurus makes a very nice .38spcl. I have an 85UL that would be the very last gun I gave up, at 17oz and made of metal, while being +P rated. With 148gr, handloads, you mays as well be shooting a .22LR, price wise; it is also a easy shooter as long as you don't put +P's or heavy rounds in it. Like I say, the 148's are a piece of cake and the Hornady 125 American Gunners aren't bad either. Don;t listen to what people say negative about Taurus. I have been owning them, many of them, for decades.

Also: lack of accuracy is a myth. rent one at a range. No, I wouldn't silhoeuette shoot with one, but I can drill the 7 ring or better 5/5 rounds at 25 yards every time with my Taurus 85UL, and I am not a particularly great shot. Just mind the rounds you put in one. I carry 125gr, Hornady America Gunner in mine, and shoot 148gr, handloads loaded to minimums at the range. Even my wife and kids enjoy shooting it, and can do so accurately.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well, a snub is for ease of concealment, but the shorter bbl and sight radius lacks accuracy. If you just want it for plinkin, and don't need to conceal it, why not go with a longer bbl ?
If you don't want the extra size and weight of the SP101/4", or a S&W M63/3", I guess that the LCR or the various aluminum frame options will be fine for getting in some trigger time. As long as hitting anything past rock throwing range is not in the picture.

Having shot a couple of the S&W featherweight's, the extra spring energy required, along with the shorter barrel, and accuracy potential is about minimum.

I have a well aged and much used Iver Johnson TP22 that I've bumped off groundhogs with at 20yds, and squirrels on the bird feeders almost as far away. My Walther P22 is nearly as light, and even more accurate with the slightly longer barrel. Both are in the size and weight class with a light, short barreled revolver.

I'm a big revolver fan, and no longer even own a centerfire auto. I love our SP101/.22LR's. But UL snubbies in .22LR, you can have my share.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Again, I would save for a nice quality .22 in a decent bbl length. There is a real joy in hitting your target at med/far distances with open sights, and that happens with a longer barrel and a good trigger/smooth action.

If you buy a cool lookin little snub with a gritty action and a lousy trigger you wont shoot it. Save for a quality firearm with a good trigger and smooth action and accuracy and you will keep it forever.

Buy once / cry once.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for all the good advice. I will keep looking around. I will probably pass on an older revolver that might be on it's last legs. If I am going to put $400 or more in one I want one I know will last at least for my lifetime. I've pretty much given up on getting one from Santa this year. I heard he voted for Obama. Merry Christmas to all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts