Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had an animal sneak up on you?

I was out in my garage today & heard cluck buck ggg cluck cluck ggg buck gggg. (something like that) Its like they clucked then did a little purr noise. I peeked out and the wild turkeys had come in to scratch around & eat corn that I had thrown out behind the house. It was a hen & four half grown babies. :cool:

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool! i'd have loved to watch them. fun stuff!
I've been finding fluffy baby feathers on the ground this fall. I usually just find regular feathers. My husband is going to use some on his arrows for tracers on the nock end. Talk about recycling! LOL

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Our range has cattle grazing when not being used.
I was moving some cattle out a few weeks ago when this newly born calf jumped up from behind a tussock.
Scared the daylights out of me..... :eek:

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Young Turkey ...roasted with cranberry sauce, sweet potato,pumpkin,,,and butter cabbage.....mmmmmnnn.

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
I have hunted for a long time and have had a deer come in without me hearing or seeing him and I first became aware of him when I smelled him. The biggest buck I ever killed I heard him first and gave him a couple of grunts with a grunt tube and he came in with a swagger and I swear he was smiling. One evening I was in a tree stand bow hunting and saw a doe with two skippers about 75 yards away and up a hill. All of a sudden one of the skippers started chasing the other and they ran down, around the back of my tree stand and back up the hill where mama was and kept going on that same route. After about a half dozen times they stopped and then the one that was being chased started chasing the other one and they did the same thing again making the wide circle in the opposite direction. They were having fun and so was I just watching them.

You hunt long enough and you see many things and will have stories to tell.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
had a rabbit in my sights, as so a stalking fox had same bunny lined up as well. I watched the fox move in and the rabbit moved on, we both missed out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I fell asleep, one time, squirrel hunting, sitting on the ground, with my back againt a white oak. I awoke to find a red fox, sitting on his haunches, about 10 feet in front of me, turning his head from side to side, like he was trying to figure out what I was. You can not move fast enough to bag a fox, if he knows you are there......Robin

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have two apple trees in my back yard, one right beside the shop. When the apples are dropping they are a deer magnet. They get to eating and playing and making so much racket, sometimes I will stop what I am doing in the shop and just stand in the open doorway and watch. I've counted as many as nine at one time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The worst is when you are clearing a house on a burglary or something like that, only to have the cat jump out of the closet or from under the bed.

When I was working in the more remote areas, I would have coyotes come right up by the car when I was typing paper. They could probably smell my food

·
Registered
549 Posts
The worst is when you are clearing a house on a burglary or something like that, only to have the cat jump out of the closet or from under the bed.
I have had two of such instances. The first; we were clearing a building after an alarm call. I turned a corner and saw an armed man staring back at me. The wall was one large mirror. The second; answering an alarm at the home office of the Col. Sanders Chicken franchise, I topped the states to confront a life size statue of the Col.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
There used to be a small lilly-pad covered pond near the house that had some of the biggest bream you'd ever seen and it was like a never ending pit of fun... one day, I was there fly fishing and sensed something behind me.

When I turned, there was a red fox sitting there watching me. He was about 6 feet away, sitting as if he were my dog or something as he watched me fish and probably hoping I'd toss him a bluegill for a nice snack.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've spooked several partridge on hikes in downeast Maine ... right after my Springer Spaniel walked right past the same spot.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Years ago, wile sitting in a tree stand bowhunting, I had a Chickadee land on my head while I was concentrating on the ground below. That one made me jump, but, fortunately, I was strapped into the stand. To me, one of the most enjoyable parts of bowhunting was sitting in the stand, seeing all the wildlife around me and, sometimes, on me. :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Had a black bear cub walk walk up from around a blind curve in our driveway. We were just sitting there in lawn chairs drinking beer. Stood up, smelled, turned around and walked away.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My brother and I were coming back from our stands one day and came up on a pile of brush. I went right, he went left. All of a sudden he stopped and started to try to get my attention. "Deer, there's a deer". I looked and all I saw in the brush pile was a white rear end of what looked like a goat. "That's just a goat" I said, and I kept walking. He increased trying to stop me and insisted there was a deer. The deer got spooked and bounced off. The front half was brown, the back half was white. Neither one of us got off a shot, we just stood there with our mouths open till it was gone.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Years ago, I got home late one night, and I was at the back door in the dark fumbling for my key. I felt a stroke against my leg, and I figured it was my cat Sam wanting to go in. When I reached down to pet him, the fur felt funny..took a good look, and it was a skunk. A split second later, the only thing standing next to that skunk were my Keds...I was down the street about 100 yards away and movin'. Usain Bolt wouldn't have been able to catch me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts