Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out a couple of Rossi leverguns to verify some 357mag loads I am experimenting with to our range yesterday. I also brought along my 583 Series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle to play with; lately one of my favorite fun guns. As it was a warm, sunny and calm fall day, it was perfect shooting weather. Even though the Broncos were on a bye this week, I had the range pretty much to myself so that was also a plus.

After verifying that I was happy with my 357mag load workup at 200yds using my tang and globe sighted Rossi 24" rifle, I swung over to the 300yd range. Shooting a 158grn pistol bullet that far with decent accuracy still amazes me even though the rifle's 30" sight radius and the tang's aperture so close to my eye gives me an excellent sight picture. Still, it always puts a smile on my face to hit at that distance with a pistol bullet.

Satisfied with my results, I turned to my Mini-14 just for fun. However, this time, besides the 62grn loads I made up specifically for it, I brought out 100rds of my 68grn Hornady precision loads I use in my long range AR to see how well they ran in my Ruger. As my Ranch Rifle only has irons, I hadn't used these in it before because the 62grn were perfectly fine on bowling pins at 200yds, my favorite targets. Anyway, I decided since it was dead calm, I'd fine tune the irons using the 300yd range so I reset the batch of pins I used there with my Rossis and gave them a go with my Ruger and precision loads.

To my delight, the Tech Sight Mini200 only needed a single right click to get them perfect for my eyes at 300yds. Using my longer range loads, I found that this little Mini does pretty well with irons using only a front rest on the bench even out that far where my eyes are close to their limit unaided by magnification. Bowling pins, at 4¾" wide at their widest and just under 15" tall, are great targets for me at that distance because even though most of it is an under 1 MOA at that range, because they're white and on the tall side, I can still clearly see them.

Anyway, I did better than I expected with the 68grn loads and saw a definite accuracy improvement over my more pedestrian 62grn loads at that distance. While this time it's probably a combination of being more familiar with my Mini (I now have over 1,000rds through it) as well as the more accurate ammo, but my shooting with the 68grn loads produced better results at that distance than my 62grn loads I started the day with. I could easily hit the pins when I called a solid shot so I'm happy with those results.

Don't get me wrong, my 62grn loads do just fine at 200yds with no complaints but it's nice to see that the added cost of the more precision 68grn HPBT bullets, TAC powder, and Remington 7½ primers in Winchester brass translates into better accuracy at that extended range off the bench. All in all, a great day shooting my 2 favorite platforms, 357mag leverguns and Ruger Mini Ranch Rifle.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I was reloading too yesterday, and while I was reloading I was talking to you on the phone, about ...... reloading! Gotta love these perfect fall days, something has to make up for the crappy cold and snowy days, or else we'd all live in Arizona or Florida.
Let me know how the aperture set for the Tech sight does when you get to try them out.
I don't have a problem with the stock aperture size, but need to do a few things to make my front sight better. I will thin it down some more, although the Choate front blade isn't as wide as the Ruger blade from the get-go. But I'd like to get it thinner for better precision, then make what is left there, around .055" wide, a bit more visible. Just a bit of paint on it would help to pick it up, but I've been toying with the idea of getting some Tritium filled vials, and drilling a tunnel to glue the vial into.
So it seems that I should leave the front blade as wide as possible to make it more visible, but I have always had a problem holding at 6 o'clock on the target. So I want to thin it down, then enhance the thinner blade to make it more visible.
And white or flourescent paint would be more visible for daytime shooting, which is what we all do anyway, but the Tritium front sight on my 870 shotgun and Kimber 1911 are big white dots in the day, but glow at night, so good at any time.
I could go with one of these, but I wish they made it in a winged version, so it looked more like a M1Carbine/Garand/M1A front sight.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ruger-mini-14-front-sight-only-prod40149.aspx

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as thinning the front blade, I've given that a lot of thought too. I was thinking going down to .060" wide and make it wedge shaped like the NM front sight on my M1A.

And then painting the rear surface with dayglow orange like I did with the stock Mini sight.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Go Broncos! Come on Peyton, get back to your old self

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Go Broncos! Come on Peyton, get back to your old self
My fear is that Coach Kubiak is forcing a offensive style that the offensive personal either don't like or can't do. The style last year was fine, our defense was the problem. This year the defense is fine and Kubiak's offensive approach is the problem. I think Kubiak needs to rethink his offensive scheme taking into account the skills and limitations of the personal he has.

(Yes, I know our offensive line is all new and not jelled but even the wide receivers from last year seem out of step with Kubiak's approach.)

ETA: Now back to our regularly schedule programming.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was reloading too yesterday, and while I was reloading I was talking to you on the phone, about ...... reloading! Gotta love these perfect fall days, something has to make up for the crappy cold and snowy days, or else we'd all live in Arizona or Florida.
Let me know how the aperture set for the Tech sight does when you get to try them out.
I don't have a problem with the stock aperture size, but need to do a few things to make my front sight better. I will thin it down some more, although the Choate front blade isn't as wide as the Ruger blade from the get-go. But I'd like to get it thinner for better precision, then make what is left there, around .055" wide, a bit more visible. Just a bit of paint on it would help to pick it up, but I've been toying with the idea of getting some Tritium filled vials, and drilling a tunnel to glue the vial into.
So it seems that I should leave the front blade as wide as possible to make it more visible, but I have always had a problem holding at 6 o'clock on the target. So I want to thin it down, then enhance the thinner blade to make it more visible.
And white or flourescent paint would be more visible for daytime shooting, which is what we all do anyway, but the Tritium front sight on my 870 shotgun and Kimber 1911 are big white dots in the day, but glow at night, so good at any time.
I could go with one of these, but I wish they made it in a winged version, so it looked more like a M1Carbine/Garand/M1A front sight.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ruger-mini-14-front-sight-only-prod40149.aspx
I have an ASI barrel on one of my Mini's. It currently has the single blade Mini 30 front sight on it. I simply need a front sight that has the outside wings with a .625 inside diameter. It does not have to be difficult or complicated. I want it to slide back on and use the current pin that ASI put through the original Mini 30 sight. ASI had to drill a slot for the pin and I want to use the same one as well. I have an ASI finished 11 degree barrel muzzle and I do not want to change that.

I don't care if it's blued or stainless. Since the barrel is stainless I prefer stainless. This is it's current configuration with the old curved style butt.
kwg

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts