Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having issues with mag #1 ejecting and slide locking back. With the slide locked back if I inserted mag #1 the follower would pop up then it wouldn't eject.

No problems feeding in the last 200 rounds with either of my mags.

So I received my replacement today. Check out the difference in spring size. Pretty dramatic. New spring is 6.5", old ones 5.25". Mag #1 had about 300 rounds, #2 about 180 and were left loaded very little.

Either Ruger is using different springs or they really compress a lot during usage, I can't remember ever seeing a mag spring compress that much with such little usage. All are Italian mags.

I will monitor the length of this spring during usage. Might want to stock up on some spare springs.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a new LC9S this month & the USA magazine it came with was replaced by Ruger with an Italian one because I could barely take the USA magazine out of the gun after its first use. It was binding just past the magazine disconnect.
The USA mags spring is about 5.5"L and the new Italian one is about 6.25"L

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Don't know that it applies in this case but I have read about cases where a manufacturer uses the same spring in two different magazines. For example a 7 round and 8 round mag might use the same spring. Of course you are talking about different size springs in the same size mag. so it could be a design change of a mistake or a case where the longer spring from a higher capacity magazine is considered interchangeable (at least in one direction) with higher capacity magazine.
I have also read about some firearms which have been through a number of design changes in both spring and follower and at least in some cases there is paint on the spring or the follower is a different color to indicate which it is. And is some cases the new parts can be used in older guns but the old parts cannot or should not be used in the newer gun.
Could be as simple as some folks were having problems with last round feeding or hold open (if so equipped, I forget if your model lacks this feature) and a longer spring with more pressure was needed.
Or could be as simple as a change in source where the overall spring rate and max compression were the specs and the overall length difference does not translate into a functional difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left the mag loaded for a week and a half and the spring compressed an inch.

But springs don't compress from being left loaded only from cycling, remember that. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts