Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who own one - what's your opinion? I'm thinking of buying one in .22LR.

Accuracy, ease of maintenance, fit - anything you can think of.

Thanks!
--Tom

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I am interested also, on my buy list.

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
They are well worth the money in all sizes. The 22 LR is flat out fun to shoot and a tack driver at 50-100 yards for me. Also have the 5.56 and 308 versions. They are pretty robust and also fun to shoot. Both have Magpul PRS 3 stocks on them and now they really rock for me. Don't hesitate to get the RPR rimfire.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I purchased a RPR mostly for target shooting-which it does very nicely.
I mounted a Vortex 4x12x40 AO with as low of mounts I could find-small face small mounts.
I have had zero problems feeding or extracting and accuracy is very good with the CCI Standard Velocity rounds.
I have not found anything I do not like so there is that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
8 months in and hundreds of rounds down range, still having a blast with it. Cabela's brand 3x9x40 22 rimfire scope on it. I have run CCI mini mags in both 36 and 40 grain, CCI std. velocity and CCI Green Tag thru it. Also Remington golden 40 gr, Remington Target, Federal AM22, CCI Clean 22 and CCI Patriot pack. Green Tag shoots the tightest group at 50 yards with a single dime size hole. Recently picked up some Norma match, Norma Tac-22, Federal Gold Medal Target and Gold Medal HV Match. Norma Match looks promising and CCI Std. velocity is a close second for group size. The Ruger Precision Rimfire is a Great shooting rifle.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just picked mine up this week. It has functional perfectly and accuracy has been good especially with standard velocity .22 LR. The problem I've been having is with my scope (Redfield Revolution). To get it sighted in I maxed out the elevation adjustment. With that, High Velocity is 2-3 inches high at 50 yards while the standard is right on. As was pointed out to me in a post in the Optics forum, the 30 MOA base is likely the problem. Reading on line at the Warne Website, explained for under 600 yards a 0 MOA is preferred. There explanations were based on comparing the 0 to a 20 MOA. Why Ruger put a 30 MOA on the rifle is a mystery. At shopruger, they do have a 0 MOA base specifically for this rifle. I used my 20% coupon and one is on the way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone!

Also, my apologies for posting this in the Pistol forum - I made a wrong turn. :eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...... As was pointed out to me in a post in the Optics forum, the 30 MOA base is likely the problem. Reading on line at the Warne Website, explained for under 600 yards a 0 MOA is preferred. There explanations were based on comparing the 0 to a 20 MOA. Why Ruger put a 30 MOA on the rifle is a mystery. At shopruger, they do have a 0 MOA base specifically for this rifle. I used my 20% coupon and one is on the way.
Interesting. I too wondered about the 30 MOA rail and can only guess that it's for people interested in those super-long-range .22 competitions where you're shooting out to 400 yards.

I checked out a Precision Rimfire in .22 WMR at the range (just picked it up and looked at it, didn't shoot it) the other day, and having read about the 30 MOA rail on the .22LR versions I examined the rail, and it appeared to be a 0 MOA rail - but it sure wasn't 30 MOA. So I wonder what Ruger is up to.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
one of my sosns in law has one and with a 4x12 voretex it is extremely accurate and I only borrowed it. It seems a very good value.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered one and will pick it up Thursday or Friday. I also ordered a 0 MOA rail from ShopRuger since most of my shooting, at least at first, will be at my local indoor range which has a max range of 84 yards.

I'm looking forward to it; it looks like a really fun rifle!

Suggestions for scopes, anyone? I'd like good quality, maybe 6 - ?? zoom, thinking that I'd like to reach out to 200 yds at the range in Decatur.

--Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
Those who own one - what's your opinion? I'm thinking of buying one in .22LR.

Accuracy, ease of maintenance, fit - anything you can think of.

Thanks!
--Tom
I like mine. Maintenance is easy. I just pop out the bolt, run it the sonic cleaner, swab out the bore and lube everthing. Picked up a Leupold AR Scope, bipod and a forward hand rest. Had it for a bit over a year and I'm very happy with it. I can get quarter size hits consistently at 75 yards. The rifle shoots better than I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like mine, have not encountered any problems at all. Getting solid 1/2 inch at 50 yards with occasional flyer. Don't really care for the 30 moa scope base, would much prefer a std one. The rifle is really fun to shoot. I run mine with a axiom suppersor makes a fine set up.

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts
I just picked mine up this week. It has functional perfectly and accuracy has been good especially with standard velocity .22 LR. The problem I've been having is with my scope (Redfield Revolution). To get it sighted in I maxed out the elevation adjustment. With that, High Velocity is 2-3 inches high at 50 yards while the standard is right on. As was pointed out to me in a post in the Optics forum, the 30 MOA base is likely the problem. Reading on line at the Warne Website, explained for under 600 yards a 0 MOA is preferred. There explanations were based on comparing the 0 to a 20 MOA. Why Ruger put a 30 MOA on the rifle is a mystery. At shopruger, they do have a 0 MOA base specifically for this rifle. I used my 20% coupon and one is on the way.
Was that for rimfire or centerfire?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have it in 17 HMR, and find it right on target at 100 yards at the range.

I would highly recommended to anybody that has love in shooting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had mine for almost 2 years now and have shot it from 50 yards to 400. I've tried 16 different types of .22 ammo and settled on CCI SV as the best value for the shooting that I do. The most accurate was Eley Target delivering 0.67" groups at 50 yards (on average) and CCI SV delivered 0.82" groups on average.

I've removed the OEM barrel and replaced it with a Shaw and that has improved the group size from 0.82" to 0.71" using CCI SV ammo. RWS 50 ammo is the new most accurate with this barrel and showed an improvement from 0.70" to 0.59" with the Shaw barrel upgrade.

I had a batch of CCI SV ammo that would not extract and sprayed some CLP in the loaded mag and then it worked fine. Loading this "sticky" ammo with CLP on my fingers accomplished the same thing with less usage. This was the only ammo with extraction issues and it's 100% ammo related.

I really wanted a bolt-action .22LR that would consistently deliver 0.50" or smaller groups at 50 yards but this rifle does not do that consistently. I have shot many groups under 0.50" and several groups under 0.25", but the average group size is still ~30% larger than what I wanted.

It has been an interesting journey so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
High Velocity ammo will print higher on the target than Standard Velocity - that's just ballistics and not your scope base. You will get the same results after switching to a 0 MOA base.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was interested in this thread because I was thinking about purchasing a RPR also.I just saw the american flag version for sale and am hooked !!
I will be making a trip to my LGS tomorrow to place the order .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my RPRR a couple of months ago...

Had it to the range twice and I can say that it is more accurate than I am at this time.
I did switch out the 30MOA rail for a 0MOA unit from Ruger, just because most of my shooting will be inside 50 yards and I didn't want to futz around with bottoming out my scope. You could also put your scope in a set of Burris Signature Zee rings with the 30 MOA offset and get the same result.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts