Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I seldom watch many of the "reality" shows on TV....my own reality is exciting enough at age 75 but I "dropped in " on a show called Preppers for a few minutes. Showed a family that had prepared in all ways possible to exist for a period of time if the financial system collapses or other problems occur.

I grew up in a time of people building bomb shelters, the "Civil defense patrol" having block captains, etc and over the years have seen survivalists and now the Preppers getting ready for enormous tragedy.

Got to thinking about all this.... a little....and I don't know how anyone would ever be prepared to exist for a very extended period of time it today's world. We have become so totally reliant on the technology, etc that I'm just not sure what would happen...no electricity..no phones...no water...no currency...no supplies after a very short time no transportation...unrest in the streets....no medical care...and so on. I sort of wonder about folks preparing for a "year" of survival...so what happens after a year?

I grew up in the mountains of Colorado and in some very rural parts of Nebraska...when younger I was tough as a boot and could pretty well make do with whatever the situation but I'm not sure that even then as rough and tumble as I was that I'd be able to survive the way some of these folks seem to think they can....I'm one that believes in being prepared as best we can for the always threatening earth quake and damage...for fires...for a reasonable amount of civil unrest and things like that but how about if the power grid goes completely down (we had 1/2 of the U. S shut down a while back...lasted for just a short time but shows how fragile things are....we rely on water from the California aqueduct and canal and from Lake Mead...what happens if God forbid Boulder Dam gets destroyed...

It's just all what if's and on and on but it's some food for thought...I wonder how many folks .... mostly older folks...that would be unable to fend for themselves and rather than fight an unwinnable battle...just give up and remove themselves from the situation...We don't like to think about those things but lots of folks in the World Trade Center took their "own way" rather than face the inevetible...

Just thought I'd throw this happy little tid bit out and see how folks feel. I love life and love what life offers but I'm not sure at my age with my disabilities if the crap really hit the fan what I'd do to insure my Wife and our pets and I didn't suffer a long, slow tragedy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess it's already been covered...excuse the post...got to go load my get away bag with oreo cookies...

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I always thought the best route was to have basic supplies for short term, and that would buy time to go the American Indian route of getting everything from nature. I used to study all of that, but don't know if I would be physically up to it these days.

Even with the Indian idea, a good modern knife and metal cook pots would be a big help. I've heard it claimed that with the right knowledge, all a man needs is a knife, a small metal pot, and a sheet of plastic to survive anywhere.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I always thought the best route was to have basic supplies for short term, and that would buy time to go the American Indian route of getting everything from nature. I used to study all of that, but don't know if I would be physically up to it these days.

Even with the Indian idea, a good modern knife and metal cook pots would be a big help. I've heard it claimed that with the right knowledge, all a man needs is a knife, a small metal pot, and a sheet of plastic to survive anywhere.

And lots of potable water.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
If things are insurmountable, I plan on curling up in a fetal position & staying there. The problem with that thought is, its really not my personality. So I'd probably try to slug it out with whoever is left. Sigh....

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My husband and I retired to a rural area where we have plenty of water, fish and game, wood for fuel and so on, mostly because we are rural folks by nature, but also because we've never liked the way you can be so vulnerable in an urban or suburban area in time of disaster. We do get power outages and we are sometimes snowed in for days at a time, up here, but we take it pretty much in stride and we are well prepared to deal with it. It's routine for us. I can see, however, what a frightening prospect a prolonged emergency would be in the city. Been there and done that and if I never see another big city again in my life, it would be fine with me.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My wife and I both have a BOB (bug out bag), and watch/read as much as we can on the skills/knowledge we would need should something arise. I'd rather be prepared and nothing happen, than something happen and be left unprepared.

But I don't have anything portable stocked past 2 weeks worth*, because that's just paranoid.

* Ammo excluded, of course. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts