Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Once again, our government, in their infinate wisdom, after decades of paying to get rid of these varmints, have decreed that they are now important to us somehow or other. How wise they are.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Whats to keep you from slipping out and thinning the pack? Like to zero. I admitt I don't know all there is behind This madness. I do know if they was killing my cattle I'd fight back.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

quote:Originally posted by Baldy

Whats to keep you from slipping out and thinning the pack? Like to zero. I admitt I don't know all there is behind This madness. I do know if they was killing my cattle I'd fight back.
Baldy right now wolves are federally protected. Now if they are killin your livestock, and you catch them in the act or soon after with obvious signs of blood on their faces etc, you can take em out. But in the pictures posted, the wolves are doing what is natural in the wilds, and that is attacking, killing and eating.

PETA calls what we do, shooting animals cruel etc. We have all heard their speach and garbage. These pictures give you the not so nice side of reality. It's just we didn't have this wolf problem until they were re-introduced. The thing that bites is that our American grey wolf is protected, but the Canadian grey wolf is not. The fact that the USFWS did not do an enviromental impact statement before re-introduction of these killing machines were brought in is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I think if I was the hunter I would have placed a couple of shots between the moose and the wolves and given them something to think about. I understand the "balance of nature" and the "survival of the fittest". I also don't mind helping nature out a little when needed.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hey JB I don't know how far you are from Helena but there's a big meeting coming up about taking the wolves off the list. It's in the NRA flyer I just got it in my email today. Good luck.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Up here in Canada, they are some what protected, unless they disturb the livestock, we have buffalo on the ranch and have shot about 15 or so wolves as they have got at the heard! the .223 scoped works great for this! I hate seeing pictures like that, I know its natural and all, but to me thats just fighting dirty!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It's just the natural way of things.It ain't Walt Disney World out there.Of course I feel they are needed more in a place like Yellow Stone.We human hunters can take care of the open land.[8D]

·
Registered
4 Posts
The misguided souls within PETA do not understand that mankind has no 'real' control over nature, and cannot change anything except that which is right in front of him, right now. Nature will prevail. PETA folks act on emotion, rather than wildlife biology fact.

Unfortunately, the same traits are noted in ranchers and city-dwellers alike, as the emotion of money somehow makes them believe that killing wolves (or coyotes or lions or others) is more honorable than admitting that those animals that nature placed here live under the same sky, and will eat what they can eat.

To be free from such bias, hunters, ranchers and PETA folk alike would have to admit that wildlife biologists understand more about wildlife than they do. Only short-sighted knee-jerk emotion will override fact in this situation. And acting based on emotion, rather than fact, is always indication of immaturity. [:X]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, for my first post here it isn't my intention to stir up any controversy. As you maybe can see by my screen name, I respect and admire wolves. That being said, as the son of a few generations of ranchers, I understand the concern of reintroducing wolves to various regions, the protection of said wolves, and the havoc they can wreak on domestic livestock.

Can't really explain my connection with wolves, as I am from California, but I was raised to respect and accept what God has given us, including what is included in our natural bounty. There is risk in all we do as men, and with that risk there are gains and losses. We took the loss of livestock by natural means as part of a plan that is bigger than us, and still gave thanks for being blessed to live life as keepers of our land. That doesn't mean that predators were not controlled as was necessary, but we lived within the balance that nature demanded.

I understand the loathing of wolves; I have mountain lions at the top of my list of animals that should be thinned out drastically (along with rattlesnakes). When I first saw the photos of the wolves taking on the moose, I thought it was pretty cool. To me, that's balance. But that moose was not my livelihood, nor my favorite horse, or prize bull. And I know that predators, once they have identified a food source, especially domestic livestock, are not going to go away without less-than-friendly persuasion. There's the dilemma: how fine IS that line between the natural order of things and wildlife management?

Which ever side of the wolf issue you may be on, keep in mind that animals of every type are here for a reason, and we, as humans, must keep all life in perspective. I'd hate to see the wholesale slaughter or eradication of wolves take place. I also have no problem with selective control and hunting of predators. We simply have to be responsible in how we manage things.

It's only my opinion, but I think the world would be poorer if the song of the wolf was silenced forever.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I believe we should respect them, appreciate them, but remember our Boss said WE were boss...and remove them when they become a serious problem to our safety or livelihood..I don't believe we should wipe them out, just relocate them...we've hurt them far worse than they've hurt us...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts