Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been wearing my sof tuck for a day or so and like it a lot, had a friend to come over today to shoot a little. he was telling me all suede leather is chrome tanned and will ruin the finish on my gun. i searched online and found that chrome tanned lether is bad for gun holsters but nothing about if all suede is chrome tanned or some isn't. i thought i would ask in case someone might know if my desantis sof tuck is chrome tanned or not. i saw a few places online where some suede is made from regular tanned leather with outer and inner layer removed. if its chrome tanned i will be returning it to the store as i don't want to worry about my gun finish. thanks for any help

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I was at the LGS today they have the UTG pocket holster, I have been using one for both of my Ruger LCR's no problems with my gun finish. I can see your concern with your guns finish. Not shure what to suggest. The cylinder & certain frame parts on your Ruger LCR9 is stainless steel with a blued finish. Hope your holster works ou for you!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I recently started using a So-Tuck and was unaware of this. Luckily I never leave my weapons holstered...unless being carried. I guess I should wipe them down at the end of each day.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just spoke with customer service at desantis, they said all their suede is chrome tanned and they recommend removing the gun after a day of carrying and also to wipe it down before i holster and after i remove it from the holster. they said blued guns should be watched but as long as i kept them oiled and didn't leave them too long in the holster they should be fine. i will be returning my holster and waiting for something else, don't know what i can get in that price range but i will not get suede that's for sure. thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got a call and email from desantis, the tech said they have had no trouble with these holsters. thinks a lot of the talk started because of the solution used in chrome tanning is corrosive. but after the leather goes through several steps there shouldn't be anything harmful in the suede no more than regular leather. still i'm just not ready to rest easy, i can't return the holster so i will keep it till i find someone who isn't afraid of suede. i'll have to wait till next month to carry as i don't have any extra money for any kind of holster now. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts