Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey the last thing I want to do is offend anyone here, so let me say this up front: I don't have kids, I don't in any way claim to know what it's like to raise kids and I'm not telling anyone how they do it is wrong.

But this morning on my way to work I was pondering something. Here on the eastern seaboard it is a crisp, springlike day. Bright sun, cool temps. Beautiful. I live a bit out in the country, not out in the sticks but definitely not suburbia. I live on an acre, most of the homes I pass before I get to 'civilization' sit on 1 to 5 acres.

And sitting in the driveways of many of those homes, down close to the road, are idling minivans and SUVs, with a Mom at the wheel sipping coffee, and a kid in the passenger seat waiting for the bus. The bus arrives, comes to a complete stop. At this time the Mom begins her goodbyes, have a nice days and the kid gets out, gathers his bookbag, maybe the Mom yells some small talk to the bus driver out the window, oblivious to the line of traffic forming behind the bus. Then she puts her Starbucks travel mug in the holder and backs up the driveway.

What has happened to us as a nation when a kid can't walk eighty yards and stand outside on a beautiful morning and wait for a bus? Or for that matter, would it be too much to ask that the two kids next door walk to the middle kids house so the bus doesn't have to stop at three consecutive houses?

I often think about how World War II, if it had to happen, happened at the absolute best time to ensure American and Allied victory. The young men fighting that war were born of hardship and adversity, made to be strong and tough because before they had to save the world, they had to ensure the survival of their families. I see a lot of promise in some of today's youth, but I also see a lot that concerns me.

Well I sort of got off my own topic there, but it's just stuff I've been thinking about as I sit behind America's school buses, wondering if we haven't just gone a little too soft for our own good.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
We are a spoiled generation of people, and it's not just the kids. Most of us couldn't, or wouldn't endure the hardships that we did 50 years ago.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I tell you why you can't never and I mean never leave your child alone and out of reach. Two words Sexual Predators. These predators would have a happy hunting ground if them kids were standing there alone waiting for the bus. Enough said I'll get in trouble.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Baldy, I guess that's true. I honestly hadn't thought of that. So the days of walking or riding your bike to school are just plain over?? How sad is that?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Baldy I see your'e from Titusville. I would have loved to have been down there for that last night time shuttle launch a few months ago, did you see that??

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes sir Eddie all I got to do is step out in my front yard and watch them big birds fly. If I go down to the river I can see them on the pad when they go. The river is about 2 miles from my house. Night shots are by far the most exciting. Seen one blow up at the Cape about 10 years ago. Thank God it was a unmaned flight. Well ground control blew it up as it started to go off corse. That cost the tax payers about 30 million or more. I have seen every launch since about mid-93 and they are still amazing.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
being a baby boomer as they say, I can remember walking to school playing out side and drinking out of the water hose absolutely nothing was ever thought about it. But now there is children are at damger anytime they are outside to play ride a bike or what ever. Drinking tap water, no sir not onyour life not me. I got a case of what they said was blood worms. Thought I was going to die, after a while sorted wanted too. I was going from both ends. Ended up going to the doc and had to have several shots. I was using the tap water to make my coffee so it had to boil first, ya would have thought that would have killed anything- I found out different the hard way.
Yep its sad but the world we live in ow is not the same as it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts