Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which 9 mm do you think has the softest felt recoil? the only one i have ever shot is my sons baretta 92fs. it is supposed to have a very soft recoil but it still seems to jump in my hand more that my 357. What have you shot(or heard of) that has a soft felt recoil?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
We'll have Rnettles give a report on the Ruger P95. My son has one and its not bad. Ruger's Polymer frames absorb some of the recoil. The recoil is a little snapier on the 9mm and .40 due to the higher pressure loads, but its not bad.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Well... I have tried to "limp wrist" my P95DPR with no luck... Short of dropping it... I can safely say that it has almost the softest recoil of any gun I have ever shot. The only one that had an even softer recoil was the Roy Rogers cap gun I had as a boy...:D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
At the risk of being sent to the back yard-I'd like to suggest you might like the .45 acp much better than the 9mm or .40-it has a gentle push and no snap-my tiny niece-in-law shot her first ever and I had her shoot my .45 P97 DAO-she emptied the clip-hit every shot-turned and said "That was fun"...all the guys who'd been timid to shoot the .45 had red faces...it's a real kittycat-these guys love their 9mms, and I am tempted to get a KP95D----like the high capacity as a backup-but my first love is .45-check one out.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Have to agree with Nettles. P95 is about as soft as it gets. On the other hand I'm kind of like Sheepdog. Love the .45 (have 3 of them) - little expensive to shoot unless you reload though.
Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
In the Ruger line, I think the P93/P94 are easy to shoot well... but the softest shooting 9mm I currently own is my Kimber Target II, and it is only slighty better than my Glock 34.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No one to speak up for the P89? Here is my personal experience:

I shot the P95, but not side by side with my P89.

I have shot a lot of other guns while trying to find the right 2nd gun for me. The P89 had less recoil and was more accurate in my hand than the Glock. The metal frame absorbs more of the recoil than the plastic Glock, and so I am assuming there should be less recoil than tha P95, as well. The P95 definately has less recoil then the Glock (in my hand at least).

I did not care for the XD9 because the trigger safety kept rubbing my finger on recoil.

For those guys that recommend the .45, they are right. It is a totally different feel. After months of research for a subcompact 9mm, I ended up with a .45 after I tried one.

However, there is definatley more recoil in a .45 then a 9mm. The .45 I tried actuallly forced my wife to take a step back when she shot it. The P89 feels like it has no recoil at all when I shoot it right after shooting my .45.

WM

·
Registered
38 Posts
Out of my P-Series 9MM's, KP89, P93, KP94 and a KP95 so far I think the KP94 is the softest shooting. I just picked the P93 and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, I had hard time finding the P93, they seem to be a bit hard to come by.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I can't tell a lick of difference between the Beretta and the P95 or P89 myself. They all kick about the same to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
P89. The extra weight in the frame helps keep the "felt recoil" down slightly. The Glocks while excellent firearms are by nature lighter and will give more "felt recoil" due to that weight advantage/disadvantage, however you may percieve it. This goes for all hanguns lighter=more felt recoil, heavier=less felt recoil.

·
Registered
868 Posts
To me, the Beretta 92FS is the softest shooting semiauto 9mm I have ever fired, and I have fired a lot of them. Since U are used to a revolver, U may not be used to the way a semi-auto shoots.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My old Berretta 92 has to be the softest I've ever shot and the most dependable. To be fair about it I've never had a ruger auto but I've had a Smith 39 and 59 and Hi-power. Grovenruger has agood point about the weight and felt recoil and my 92 is bigger and heavier than most.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Different people have a different preception of recoil. I had a P95 before I got a P97. After I shot the 97 I liked the push of the recoil better compared to the snap of the 95. Gave the 95 to my wife and after she shot my 97, her reaction was the same. Got her a 45 and gave the 95 to my Son. I'm not saying one kicks harder than the other, but the felt recoil is different.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've never had a .45 auto but with the .45 colt there is such a variety of factory loads [ cowboy to cor-bon for instance] and if you have an old vaquero that you can load up there is a remarkable difference in recoil. I would think your auto would have a difference also but probably not as widespread. The last batch we loaded gets uncomfortable after a while, its OK if I use two hands. One handed the back of my middle finger gets a beating.

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I can't tell a lick of difference between the Beretta and the P95 or P89 myself. They all kick about the same to me.
gunman, sure glad to hear that. Although the grips may feel a bit different on different guns I thought there might be something wrong with me on feeling the recoil of the 9MM[8D]
Baker

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

gunman, sure glad to hear that. Although the grips may feel a bit different on different guns I thought there might be something wrong with me on feeling the recoil of the 9MM[8D]
Baker
It sounds weird, but I shoot 9mm, .40 and .45, some in steel, some in alloy and some in polymer frame guns. They all seem to feel a little different, but I just don't think one is much different from the other. I honestly don't think my P95 recoils any less than any of the others.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts