Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I sold my sr9c for a few reasons. While it was a great range gun, it wasn't a great CC gun and I already have two great range 9mm (Glock 17 and Beretta 92fs).The sr9c was a little heavy and a little thick for conceal carry, so ever since I have been carrying mrs. Elsie Pea in my pocket.

I wanted to carry something bigger and more comfortable to shoot than mrs. Elsie so I am thinking about a Kahr cw9. I got to fondle one at my LGS yesterday and I feel its the perfect size CC gun. Not too small, not too big, not too thick, and not too thin LOL. And did I mention affordable. My LGS said the best price they can do is $369 plus tax and background, so in total $395.

Anybody in here owns one? Or reccomends something else?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I own a Kahr CM9, flawless from the start, best trigger around, and comfortable to carry any position. Really like it, it just "feels right" to and for me, IMO. Oh did I mention accurate-dead on!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
What are the weight differences between the two? I have read here how some people carry SP-101s in their pocket and I think that is a slightly wider weapon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The SR9c isn't a pant's pocket carry pistol and the CW9 is pushing it for pant's pocket carry. Plush factors for the Cw9 are it's slimmer profile and DAO trigger, which is the better pistol depends on the end user. I am more impressed with the SR9c because of it's cost and utility and intend to go that route.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think the CW9 would be pushing it for pocket carry, but is a good pistol from all I hear and read. The CM9 would be a better pocket option size wise, but then again you said you wanted a "bigger" pistol. I sold a PF-9 and bought a Beretta Nano. I like it 100 times better. It's basically the same size, but weighs quite a bit more, is more accurate, and doesn't beat my hand up the way the PF-9 did. I was able to get mine on-line for $349.95 + FFL fee.

I also have an SR40C and have shot my brother's 92. I prefer the Ruger to the 92 - it's too fat in my hand. Plus - I'm having a love affair with the trigger and accuracy of my SR. There's no doubt the Nano is "easier" to carry, but I'm sure a good holster would make the SR a good CC pistol, but definitely not in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I own a full size sr9 and love it but its not a easy cc gun like my CW45. I know the CW9 is smaller so I'd think it would serve you well. But if you have the lcp why not move up to a lc9, thats more of a pocket carry gun. I've not shot one, just asking, don't hear much about these anymore. Has the new wore off of them, this is a Ruger site so have to ask. As for the Kahr, they are great guns, well made and if you pick the right model have nice price points. My CW45 is a tight gun and took 200 rnds to losen up, it now shoots like a dream and I often pocket carry it. Remember they need to be broke in with at least 200 plus rnds and the trigger pull is the safety. Break in is cheaper with 9mm and loads of fun. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I carry the CW45 Kahr and I really like it. Very acc. and doesn't have a bunch of levers and safeties to have to worry about. I use 1911 Officers magazines for a flush fit that trims 1/4" off the grip length and adds one rnd. They require a slight mod. which is detailed online in several places. I added a Hogue® Handall Jr. Universal Rubber Sleeve as the grip was too slim for me.
YMMV.
Fred

·
Registered
451 Posts
Had a 92F and my SR9C I feel is more accurate plus a much better trigger and grip.
Another good smaller carry pistol is the Shield.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I would have thought that a backward step..... :confused:
To each their own.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Carry one of three guns depending on dress and circumstance. A Karr PM9 in a pocket holster when wearing shorts, aSR9C IWB when in jeans and a Kimber 1911 when dressed up. I practice with all three so I am comfortable when switching guns.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You think the SR9C is to big and heavy for pocket carry?
No im sorry. I meant I carry the LCP in the pocket with a desantis holster, and before that I used to carry the sr9c IWB. I want to get back to carrying something bigger and IWB. I am still keeping the LCP for summer carry and or back up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
No im sorry. I meant I carry the LCP in the pocket with a desantis holster, and before that I used to carry the sr9c IWB. I want to get back to carrying something bigger and IWB. I am still keeping the LCP for summer carry and or back up.
The SR40C would be perfect :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would never get rid of my SR9c it is a GREAT carry gun. I shot a Kahr CW9 and it was a bit too snappy on recoil. Not awful but nowhere near as nice as the SR9c.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would never get rid of my SR9c it is a GREAT carry gun. I shot a Kahr CW9 and it was a bit too snappy on recoil. Not awful but nowhere near as nice as the SR9c.
The sr9c was sweet shooter for sure, a nice range gun just not an IWB CC for me. A bit heavy. I do miss my sr9c for the range but I got my full size g17 gen4 n beretta 92fs for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts