Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good way to remove the blue finish on an aluminum Ruger Single action grip frame to produce an "in the white" finish?

I am idly thinking about matching an extra alloy grip frame to the finish of my stainless Single 7, thus reducing the weight by replacing the factory stainless grip frame. I imagine this could be done with enough #0000 steel wool, but I worry I may run out of enthusiasm before I run out of blued area to polish bright. I also might lose interest if I discover the alloy grip frame requires fitting beyond my ability to do so (which is nil).

Any comments, particularly from anyone who has done such work, are appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is a good way to remove the blue finish on an aluminum Ruger Single action grip frame to produce an "in the white" finish?

I am idly thinking about matching an extra alloy grip frame to the finish of my stainless Single 7, thus reducing the weight by replacing the factory stainless grip frame. I imagine this could be done with enough #0000 steel wool, but I worry I may run out of enthusiasm before I run out of blued area to polish bright. I also might lose interest if I discover the alloy grip frame requires fitting beyond my ability to do so (which is nil).

Any comments, particularly from anyone who has done such work, are appreciated.
Buff it off with an electric buffing wheel.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I think you might be disappointed with the match between “bright” aluminum and stainless steel. To my eyes, aluminum has a “softer” (less blue?) look than most stainless steels - this goes double after it’s had a few days to oxidize.

Since it’s hard to get a match, your other choices - if you want to use the aluminum alloy grip frame - would be to either leave it black or ceracote it to a contrasting color, like charcoal grey or maybe even bronze.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts