Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am a new owner of a 10/22 TD. I was looking for a 22lr that could be stowed in my truck and was inexpensive to shoot as compared to the big rifles and my handgun.
My questions:
What kind of groups can I expect from this at 30 yrds. handheld? 30 yards is the max I think I can do with the sights. They are hard for me to see.
Would I be better served with a scope or with better iron sights?
What I want to do:
plinking and varmits probably 50 yards max.
My level of expertise:
hand held semi auto handgun 1.5" groups at 30 ft.
fist size group hand held mini 14 223 at 100 yards
Glad to be here and thanks in advance for your expert advice!

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
You'll find some info on this site! Welcome from southern Minnesota! Glad you're here!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The stock iron sights are very nice but hard to see in low light u can paint the gold beed orange but honistly dont switch them BUT u can expect at 30 yards depending on your shooting experience and how its sighted in probobly 1 inch groupls maybe even 3/4 but remember open sights here and its a 22 accurate but bullets arent consistent like bigger calibers just a fact. Throw a scope on there at 30 yards and u can expect 1/2 to 1/4 inch groups with the proper ammo its more ammo then it is the gun because ruger has pretty much got the 10/22s damn perfect. At 50 yards hunting get either a 4x32 or a 2-7x32 or even a 3-9x32 but keep it at 32mm-big but not to big. I have a 3-9 on mine and shoot clays at 200 yards all day. Thats the best easy to hunderstand advice i can give u let me know what u decide its a great gun and should serve u very well

·
Registered
254 Posts
Barska CO11538 Colorado 3-9X40 Silver - Walmart.com

I have this scope and it works fantastically. Holds the zero fine, clear optics, and it comes with rings and scope caps. I'm amazed at how nice this scope is considering how cheap it is. For what you're doing, I think it would be perfect.

Barska Co11342 Colorado 3-9x40 Matte - Walmart.com

This should be the same exact scope, just black. I'm not sure if it comes with rings though... The silver one does. I looked through the reviews and one mentioned the matte scope doesn't come with rings.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
This target was from my first outing with my 10/22TD. Iron sights, at 20 yards, lightly bench rested, DARK indoor range. It took me awhile to settle down, and see where the sights were but it does shoot well!

It will shoot more accurately then the shooter can!

Good luck, and enjoy that TD. I sure do.

I also have a 10/22 LVT. It has a Leupold 2x7 RF scope on it. It will easily shoot groups 1/2 to 1/3 of the TD. I credit this 100% to the optics---I can actually see the target. Funny things is, they both prefer different ammo. Spike12 is absolutely correct: Get the rifle to group with ammo FIRST, then work on point of impact with a scope... Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If the problem is old eyes, painting the sights will help but the best answer is a scope. A red dot sight will help too but the dots are so big they usually cover the entire target when trying to hit small targets. There's no reason to spend big $$ on either. Most of the scopes marketed as .22 scopes will work just fine. The cheaper scopes on the market are getting better. I go to Midway.com or others and read the user reviews to get general ideas on quality/performance. Unless you have special needs, I guess something in the $100 range or less (but not much) would be pretty good. A lot of guys think nothing of spending more on the optics than they did on the gun.

A 10/22 is usually pretty damn good at 50 yards once you find the ammo that particular gun really likes. The TD versions seem to be just as good. Finding that favorite ammo just takes a little trial and error. Don't bother zeroing the scope until you find the ammo that groups the best.

I bought a used 10/22 from around '68 that would pick off empty .22 shells at 40' with a scope w/o too much effort. No you're not expecting too much.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Congrats on the 10/22TD, great choice. I have a 10/22 carbine, using iron sights I can usually group 10 rounds inside of a quarter at about 20 yards on paper targets, in a standing position. And that's not saying much.

There are many factors that go into developing accuracy. A few are stance/grip, breathing, trigger control, ammo and practice.

You'll find all you need here in this forum, lot's of great folks here that can me more help to you than myself. Good luck to you, and happy shooting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advice...might put a touch of paint on that front sight to help me see and try to find a scope that will help me go out to 50 yrds. There seems to be a lot of info on scopes for this rifle on the forum and I should be able to find one pretty easy. Ammo not the same....hard to find LR here....darn those hoarders....they are ruining our fun!!!!!!! Cabelas told me they are getting regular supply but can't keep up with demand.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Welcome to the forum from upstate NY.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If you are going to limit your range to 50 yards and hunting/plinking off hand shooting then a Bushnell TRS-25 3moa is small, light, low cost, highly effective...the go for about $80 on amazon...I have one I use on both my 10/22 rifle and 10/22 charger pistol...mostly charger...strictly off hand shooting...5-50 yards...favorite target is golf balls...

If you want a lot better precision and extended range get a 2-7x28 scope of decent quality...I have a Leupold 2-7x28...love it...very good for what you describe...

Trigger improvements and a match chamber barrel will make the gun itself more accurate...so will selecting the ammo the works best for you and your gun...trial and error...

You can have your factory barrel re-chambered for cheap by Q bolt and barrel works...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts