Ruger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Crkckr, with the exception of the lower part of the General Crook supply road near Camp Verde, all of the wagon/supply roads I talked about are up in the cool pine forest. No brutal summers there.
The western, southwestern and southern parts of the state do have very warm summers.
Even there, there are "sky islands", tall peaks rising up from the desert that have forested tops and cool summers.
Mt Lemmon near Tucson, Mt Graham near Safford and the Chiricahua Mountains east of Tombstone are just some of the high mountains that desert residents can go cool off in come summertime.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,010 Posts
Sandog, I lived in the East Valley (Higley) near Phoenix for 11 years. I did my best to explore the state every chance I got. When I first moved to Arizona, I was astounded by one of the statistics ..... more people per capita in AZ own boats than any other state. My favorite places were Lake Mary (near Flagstaff) where I went "elk watching". I deer hunted in the Kaibab and hunted javelina in the desert near Globe. My wife and I spent lots of time on horseback in the Superstitions and San Tan mountains. On one Peralta trail ride, our horses freaked out and we couldn't figure out why. Seems a big mountain lion was nearby .... got a picture of his tail as he ran away. We kept looking over our shoulder until we finally got to our trailer. I learned to love the desert .... but not in the summer. Easter is a beautiful time when the saguaro cactus bloom with "halos". My daughter still lives in Phoenix so I have a good reason to return.

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Thank You for the history and pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great post! Love local history tales and the pix brought it all to life, thanks for sharing all that.
Hope your job returns or maybe a new career is coming your way ;)
Good luck.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts