Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
watching Jeopardy for the first time in ages (always have loved it, but haven't caught it for quite awhile), and they had a question about custer's regiment leaving from fort abraham lincoln near mandan, north dakota. rebuilding/restoration of the fort and custer's quarters as CO was one of my Dad's biggest projects up there before he retired. they showed the CO's quarters as part of the Jeopardy video clip, that my Dad did all the historical restoration design work on.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Congratulations to him for preserving a great historic location. Love to read these kind of "I was Involved" stories.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Congratulations to him for preserving a great historic location. Love to read these kind of "I was Involved" stories.
Me too. I bet it would be cool to talk to him and get some of the mundane details. Sometimes the simple things are the most interesting. You know, the "I almost bought the wrong color of paint" stories.:)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he also did the restoration work on two historic governor's mansions. the old governor's mansion in north dakota, and wickersham house in juneau, alaska. you can probably find them by googling or youtubing or something and see his work-- everything down to the shape of the wrought iron fence finials.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i never had a chance to see what he did with wickersham house, but i was at the historic old governor's mansion in bismarck many times for various events, and out at ft. lincoln as well, and got to see those projects from early on to finish. i just kind of took it in stride as my Dad's job back then, but it's pretty impressive now in hindsight.. another really cool one was the chateau de mores, which if i'm not mistaken, is now part of theodore roosevelt nat'l park in western north dakota (TR being perhaps my favorite president of all time).

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me too. I bet it would be cool to talk to him and get some of the mundane details. Sometimes the simple things are the most interesting. You know, the "I almost bought the wrong color of paint" stories.:)
oh believe me, if you got him started it would be hard to get him to stop talking. and the "right" paint really does factor in-- i know for the ND gov's mansion it took months and months of research to find a historically accurate paint color that met current codes. i think they may have had to get it specially made.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts