Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Y'all may not be aware of this, but I have a fondness for the Single Action revolver. Especially when fitted with nice grips. Been on a stag binge lately, with these results:

The Flat Top in the center is a .44 Special, others are .45 Colt. Two on right are Colt New Frontiers.

Bob Wright

P.S. Before you ask, the "Super Blackhawk" on the left is an ex-Bisley.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! How would you compare the Colt to a Ruger in general?
Now, that IS a tough one!

The Colt New Frontier, compared to like Blackhawks:

The Colt is much more traditional as far as fit, finish, and general provenance is concerned. They are certainly very accurate shooters.

The Rugers, while not so finely fitted or finished, are closing the gap as far as fitting is concerned. My latest Flat Top is superb in fitting.

The Ruger is far more robust, and I much prefer the wider trigger of the Blackhawks, plus new guns have actions that are superior to comparable Colts from the factory.

I do very little to a new Colt when I buy one, but invest considerable cash in a Ruger to get it to look like a Colt. Once that is done, I'm sticking with my Ruger.

Bob Wright

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,953 Posts
That is an incredible group of revolvers! I dream of a New Frontier .45, and seeing those stags on yours means my savings account must grow even more. For now my Ruger single actions wear wood, micarta, pearlite, and faux ivory.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
BOB: I have always enjoyed reading your posts and looking at the great pictures you take. You definitely have some beautiful SA Colts and Rugers I envy You . I have always had a weakness for SA Revolvers wearing Stag Grips. They have always been my favorites. My Grand Father and most of His old Cowboy and Shooting Friends felt the same way. So I guess I came by that way of thinking naturally. I was lucky enough to get to spend a great deal of time with my Grand Father and His old shooting buddies growing up down in Oklahoma. And I got to shoot some truly great firearms spending so much time with them. And something just as importantly, I got to listen to their wonderful stories. That time period in my life, is some of my most cherished memories. As much as I have always had a love affair with Old SA Colts, I just always seemed to favor Ruger SA`s more. And I am real fond of Lever Action Rifles and Side By Side and Win 1897 Pump Shotguns and I am a Western History Buff.
ken

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very nice , the color case hardening on the new model Blackhawk looks better than the Colts . I too have a flattop 44 special and was thinking of adding stags and color case hardening it myself . Nice bunch of single actions .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just beautiful.....most would be happy with one in the stable, but hey, lookin good sir! Good thing your not my neighbor, I would both harass and pump you for inspiration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts