Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: JohnR

Registered
They look like an interesting bullet, I like how they only put 20 in a box.

Registered
Interesting. I don't carry a 380 often but it is a back up when I do. I may look at these when ammo shows up in the stores again.

Registered
Looks interesting, might need to get a box for my .380. Rarely carry it, but I have one for those rare moments carrying anything else is impractical.

So......does that mean that soon we will hear that the .380 is now as effective as the 9mm as advancements in bullet technology now allow it to meet FBI guidelines just as the 9mm is just as effective as a .45 ACP according to FBI protocols? sorry, wanted to be the first to throw that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Looks interesting, might need to get a box for my .380. Rarely carry it, but I have one for those rare moments carrying anything else is impractical.

So......does that mean that soon we will hear that the .380 is now as effective as the 9mm as advancements in bullet technology now allow it to meet FBI guidelines just as the 9mm is just as effective as a .45 ACP according to FBI protocols? sorry, wanted to be the first to throw that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not quite; it means .380 is now just as ineffective as 9, .45, etc. :D.

Registered
Federal made it sound like a major advancement in 380 ammo performance out of a short barrel pistol. Well it is not that. It is an improvement over their original 380 HST JHP which was known to have inconsistent expansion in gel tests. What the promo does not mentio is the permenant wound channel in the gel, and the degree to which the new ammo expansion inhibits penetration. The promo simply says is that Federal has improved the expansion of it 380 round which is now meeting FBI testing standards. Of course that is good, but terminal ballistics testing should reveal both penetration depth and expansion produced wound cavity results to see the balance between the two important factors in defensive bullet performance. I suspect that once the s mo becomes readily available a few of the ballistic testers on YouTube will provide us with that information.

The LCP II is my EDC. I researched 380 ballistics tests in depth. I becamme convinced that the Underwood and Lehigh Extreme Penetrator ammo offered the best results as a defensive round. Depending upon barrel length those rounds achieved over 15 inches of penetration in bare and denim covered gel. They proved to bebarrier blind when tested through sheet metal, wood, and wallboard by achieving the same penetration. But the bonus was that the fluid transfer bullet produce wound channels twice that of Federal HST. Gel tests are made to compare ammo performance in a consistent media. The non expanding Extreme Penetrator bullet Seems to be winning the contest when it comes to 380.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts