Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I was watching Police Shootouts and the trooper had an individual stopped. Going thru the boxes in the back of his truck, and there was one the suspect did not want the trooper to see the contents of.

Mistake #1: Letting the suspect use a knife to cut open the box.

Mistake #2: Trooper did not have his weapon in the ready, as the suspect then turned and charged him. The trooper was standing at a distance and was able to retreat, but the suspect still followed and a report was heard off view of the camera.

Mistake #3: Suspect shot point blank in the stomach with a .45 ACP round from the troopers firearm. The suspect continued to walk around while the Trooper tried to get him to lay down.

Mistake #4: Trooper had relized his firearm was not secured in its holster which could have had deadly results for the Trooper should the suspect gotten hold of it.

The suspect then like having super human strength began to become combative again. Now getting close and grabbing the Trooper's radio and tossing it.

Mistake #5: The Trooper and the suspect began to fight AGAIN. The Trooper finally took the suspect to the ground, only to have the suspect fight continuing the assault on the Trooper. Finally the Trooper was able to break free, and finally with the aid of a citizen regain control of the suspect putting him in handcuffs, and then securing him in the patrol car.

The box was later found to contain cocain in the large quanity size.

Shot placement is everything, for those of you that carry a .45 ACP SA or Revolver remember just because it is a .45 ACP round it will not put the suspect down unless you hit the suspect in a very stoppable place IE a COM shot would have been the most effective shot placement in this situation.

As an ex-firearms instructor with the department that I was with, that is what I trained them for... CENTER OF MASS ie COM for short.

Here is a good steel practice target for those that want to have a good way of checkin your hits for both handgun and rifle.

B-27 Targets
http://www.letargets.com/html/targets6.html

·
Registered
589 Posts
Excellent point JB. No mater how good the weapon, how large the round or how good the ammo is there is no replacement for practice.

I make my own targets mostly out of my wifes old real estate signs, they are made of corrugated plastic and hold up well. After they have a lot of holes in them I simply tape a piece of paper over the front. I try to practice for real life situations such as firing while retreating, from behind cover and less than optimum shooting positions that one may encounter in a real life situation.

I often watch these shows myself, mostly when I am on the road sitting in some hotel room with a limited number of channels. I am often amazed at how poor some LEO marksmanship is, I saw one a while back where the office fired five or six times at a BG about 20 yards away when he stepped out of his vehicle with a rifle and pointed it at the officer. The officer did not hit him and luckily the BG did not return fire, he just stood there.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a video of the real deal shot from patrol car cameras as it happened on Hwy 12 here in Montana.

The suspect started this all in Ennis Mt, with shooting 6 people one night out in front of the bar in town.. then escalated from there, as they usually do. Suspect had ties to malitia types etc

A Ravalli County - Montana Sheriff's Deputy was wounded with the first encounter in Hamilton with the first traffic stop in the stolen Ford Taurus.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8db_1173734605

Even though I don't wear the badge any longer I still check out the what's what. Lucky only one deputy was wounded, and MHP injured from vehicle TA with suspect. I would have grabbed my patrol rifle instead of the shotgun which would have had more penitration power to disable the vehicle, and suspect that was barricaded behind the Taurus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.