Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traveled to southern Mississippi for a week of deer hunting last week and had a great time. Unlike last year's effort there this year the deer were abundant and feeding off and on throughout the day in the rye grass fields. My 11-year old son took his first deer the day before Thanksgiving. The sun had set and we were in the last 15 - 20 minutes of legal light. We had had actually decided to just walk the field on our way out back to the truck and when we crested the rise there were several deer feeding in the grass. This doe was about 50 yards away and my son quickly shouldered his .243 and dropped it in it's tracks. I call him "Mr. One Shot One Kill" now!

The smile says it all! He's still on cloud nine and we had an extra blessing to be thankful for this year.

Wave

· Administrator
23,659 Posts
All thats left is to make a big deal about how good that venison is when you cook it up and sit down to eat. The looks of things it will be fine table fare anyway. It's great to see the youngsters taking up hunting and you are right the smile says it all.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
It's all in the smile.
Congratulations to the young lad.

· Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. My son has enjoyed reading the comments. He's proud of his deer and Dad is proud of him. The "one shot one kill" thing ties back to his boar he shot back in June. Same thing - one shot laid the boar right down in it's tracks. Dad can't claim the same level of success......

Wave

· Registered
9,176 Posts
Congrats to you both, to your son for his fine trophies and to you for teaching him right.

· Registered
200 Posts
I love stories like this. Congrats on a fine son and congrats to him on his first deer. So far my 12yr granddaughter has four deer and three turkeys since she has been hunting and I am very proud of her and my son.

Doyle

· Registered
350 Posts
Congratulations! I love to see kids getting involved in hunting & shooting. We need new generations of young, responsible sportsmen (& gals). :)

· Registered
7,866 Posts
Congrats, that's one of the best experiences is getting your first deer with your dad at your side. Looks like your son will be quite the hunter, that's a good thing.... I'm tired of seeing kids my age and under not knowing what a deer or a bear even looks like. All they know is facebook, call of duty, I-pods/I-phones, and Lord only knows what else. Mention hunting or guns to them and they're like "wut, IDK wat dat is?". Well, anyway, happy hunting!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.