Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I am fortunate enough to be getting back a decent tax return, so I want to start hand-loading for my Blackhawk. The problem is finding decent target bullets. I have been looking in handgun magazines and online for decent stuff, but it's surprisingly tough to find.

I don't need Bob's Super Elite Man-Stopper Bear-Killers bullets, platinum core jacketed in gold with titanium power-balls, laser etched with mystical runes and blessed by Icelandic shamans.

I just want a good lead alloy slug that I can do some practice shooting with. Any good sources out there?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,836 Posts
Try the Hornady "Cowboy" bullets. They are soft swaged lead and shoot great in my 45 Colt Rugers. I load 8 grains of Unique for a factory equivalent load (900 fps). No fouling, very accurate.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
wwwmeisterbullets.com is another good place to buy, also [email protected] I have shot some match's with him so if ya contact Storny tell him Trail Boss Martin sent ya.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I buy all my lead bullets from Georgia Arms. They USED to be cheap, but like everything else, they have really gone up in price the last year or so, and shipping is outrageous too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll be checking them out. My local range wants $40 / box for .45 Colt, and the only cheaper place I found was Dick's Sporting Goods, and they only carry one box of cowboy loads at a time and want $30 for it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
45 LCs are what got me into reloading. Bought my gun and one box of Untramax and almost chocked. Figured for the price of 5 boxes of ammo I could get set up to reload. Turned out to be a good choice.

One suggestion on the shipping. Make sure whever you buy from uses the USPS single rate, $9.00 boxes. I just got 1K bullets from Missouri for the 9 dollar flat rate. Meister, Penn, Berry and most others have the same arrangement. But, if they don't you will pay big time.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
chance is right make sure its the 9 dollar flat rate other wise have deep pockets.

·
Registered
219 Posts
wwwmeisterbullets.com is another good place to buy, also [email protected] I have shot some match's with him so if ya contact Storny tell him Trail Boss Martin sent ya.
Snuffy
Met Stony at SASS Winter Range in PHX. Great guy with super prices. Ended up buying 2000 bullets of different calibres from him. He also really helped me out with a problem I was having loading 45 APC for the Blackhawk convertible. Stony's bullets and advice solved the problem.

Anyone needing lead bullets can't go wrong with Mastercraft.
Chance

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I've used Mastercast, and Trueline, and a couple others. Pricing of 35 - 40 bucks plus shipping per 500 is about average.
There was a local guy that cast really good bullets, it was Stonewall Bullet Co., I highly reccomend them. It's a one man operation and I use to by from him a lot. Name is Robert, give him a try.
His 45-200 worked well in my Colt 1991, and I thought his 38-158swc, 44-245swc and 45-260swc were some of the best I have used.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stonewall Bullet Co.
290 Russell Rd.
Stonewall LA, 71078
(318) 925-1836
[email protected]

Here's a link to see what he has:

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23847&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Darkness,
You know Bob's Super Elite Man bullets are actually made from used tire weights? At least that was what I was told.

Good one on Bob's bullets. I'd like to get at least one box anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.