Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gents I have acquired dies, brass and have the rest except projectiles, I am looking for lead and jacketed in and around the 400gr area for the .480 SBH
I guess the question is what brand are you all using and where to buy?

Maybe some pros and cons regarding brands used also
And I don't have time or tools for casting my own so that is out

Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
173 Posts
I believe that Big Iron Bullets makes cast bullets for it.
You will have to google their website.
They are in Northern Colorado.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ladies and gents I have acquired dies, brass and have the rest except projectiles, I am looking for lead and jacketed in and around the 400gr area for the .480 SBH
I guess the question is what brand are you all using and where to buy?

Maybe some pros and cons regarding brands used also
And I don't have time or tools for casting my own so that is out

Thanks in advance for any info
I see that gas checks (for lead bullets) are available in that .475 diameter, but I would start with Hornady XTPs. To purchase, search for "HORNADY 475 XTP 325 GR FOR 480 RUGER". I found at least one source in stock.

It is always unsettling to observe how fragile the supply line is for some of these calibers.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hornady doesn't sell their 400gr. for reloading anymore but I believe Speer still does. There's a fairly decent selection of hardcast bullets available in the weight you desire. Google hardcast bullets, visit a few websites and take your pick.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hornady doesn't sell their 400gr. for reloading anymore but I believe Speer still does. There's a fairly decent selection of hardcast bullets available in the weight you desire. Google hardcast bullets, visit a few websites and take your pick.
What load source for 480 makes any allowance for using lead bullets?

·
Registered
517 Posts
What load source for 480 makes any allowance for using lead bullets?
I'm using load data from my Lyman manual, Western powders Reload Guide(has cast bullet data in bullet weights from 355gr. to 375gr.), and Hodgdon's website that features cast bullet weights from 355gr. to 420gr.. Hope this helps. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm using load data from my Lyman manual, Western powders Reload Guide(has cast bullet data in bullet weights from 355gr. to 375gr.), and Hodgdon's website that features cast bullet weights from 355gr. to 420gr.. Hope this helps. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is all subsonic or thereabouts, the usual cap on lead velocities for published loads. I typically have found the other sources mentioned as consistent with Lyman's conservative lead velocities. I was trying to make sense of having this monster magnum gun and not running it at magnum velocities. However, I do appreciate the limitation with extremely heavy bullets. Seems like these cannons should be running clad bullets. Either that, or it is a clear call for gas checks to go beyond published loads for lead.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Paul for going the xtra mile to help a member !!!!
I have settled in on Montana and cast performance as selection and availability seem to be better it will take time but I will eventually report back with results

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got a Bisley a few weeks back and have been wringing it out with Leadheads 355 gk WFN. Works well. You may want to start somewhere in this weight range with mid level loads before going to 400's unless you are already there. I shoot all the standard mag calibers and 10MM wit ease as well as heavy 330 gr. loads in .45 Colt but have found the .480 to be a different breed of cat as it were...But it is fun...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just ordered some bullets from Cast Performance... On the 6th... Still waiting for them to ship despite being told what day they would ship, twice, and having both dates pass with my order still unshipped. I hear the product is great but I will not be buying directly from them again. I'll go through MidwayUSA or something like that.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just ordered some bullets from Cast Performance... On the 6th... Still waiting for them to ship despite being told what day they would ship, twice, and having both dates pass with my order still unshipped. I hear the product is great but I will not be buying directly from them again. I'll go through MidwayUSA or something like that.
Don't miss that shippers have limits on how much weight can be picked up each day. Something might be queued for shipping and take a couple days to make the cut.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Frank, they must have seen your avatar and took additional time to do a background work up :D

All kidding aside, Cast Performance has always been my go vendor when I just can't wait for delivery. Can't remember ever waiting for more than 3 bus days from online order to delivery. Haven't used them lately, so I don't really know.

Due to their prices, I normally use a different supplier when not in a hurry.

Remember, this is a particularly bad time of year for deliveries. With that said, I haven't noticed any delivery delays with UPS, USPS, or Fed X in the last month.

Jem102 -- I've had great results with the Leadhead 355 LFNGCs with mid level loads (1,150 fps or so) in my FA83 .475 Linebaugh. Leadheads is a great supplier in my experience -- great products and service.

FWIW,

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts