Ruger Forum banner

South Georgia Rut

3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Rubone 
#1 ·
Three of us hunted my family's timber yesterday. Two of us harvested 8pt bucks. Both dropped in their tracks. It was a great day hunting!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It may be smaller but the rack is symmetrical, congrats. I’ve got an big 8 running around on the property, also a 10, but the 8 is so perfect he’s #1 on the hit list. I’ve got him on multiple cams during the day as recent as last Friday. Today is a “no-go”, but Tuesday it’s on......

#9 ·
I’ve seen 7 does this morning..........no sign of the buck on my hit list. I probably should have dropped one them. I bet I don’t let one walk later.......

#10 ·
I decided hit lists are for people on tv and with unlimited amounts of time to spend hunting. When any deer that meets my idea for the day comes within range it is game on. I do set standards, but they vary from day to day, place to place, and weaponry choice for the particular hunt. That way every deer I get is a trophy from a doe with my late dad's crossbow. To a 4 point with the muzzleloader. And my next will be with a handgun or shotgun. Why? Because I have yet in all my years of hunting killed with the shotgun. We rifle hunt here except on special draws and then we can take muzzleloader so it's just been on the back burner. Handgun? I've been successful with it, but not with the revolver. So any deer may get the slug and probably wait on a buck that is pretty decent for the pistol.

#14 ·
I put my friend who hasn't been seeing deer in my regular stand this morning. He saw a "big buck" walking at 325yds through the trees, and a 6pt chasing does at 175yds. The meaty doe he wanted didn't step into the clear. He's excited and was back out early this afternoon.

#21 ·
Here’s a pretty cool view out my deer blind from yesterday. 5 Whitetail does right at 325 yards from me. If a big buck would of stepped out I would of taken the shot.

First photo is from yesterday looking through my binoculars and second photo is from last weekend with out binoculars.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.