Ruger Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts
Was watching an outdoor channel program and they were hunting Nutria, which is an invasive species. They look like an oversized sewer rat. Just curious if anyone has ever hunted these critters. I think it would be fun with a 9mm carbine.
A lady friend told me a story about when she was a teen in Luisiana, they would hunt them and sell them to a local alligator farm.

But, the gators love them! I think part of Louisiana’s significant gator population is due to nutria... not sure how well they like snowbirds(?)
Would suspect the Nutria are alot juicier for the most part? One of my Grandfathers there once had Gator boots made for me, longest lasting pair ever had ... I must of had them re-soled at least a dozen times.

But, the gators love them! I think part of Louisiana’s significant gator population is due to nutria... not sure how well they like snowbirds(?)
Would suspect the Nutria are alot juicier for the most part? One of my Grandfathers there once had Gator boots made for me, longest lasting pair ever had ... I must of had them re-soled at least a dozen times.

Couldnt do that with nutria or snowbirds.

We used to drive along the top of the levees, looking for nutria swimming in the bar pits below. If we saw one, we'd try to snipe it with our deer rifles. Shots were generally 350-600 yards. It was great practice for hunting the beanfields and oat fields later in the year during the deer season. A 30-06 with Remington 150 grain PSP Core-Lokt bullets worked great. I even managed to hit a few closer ones with a open-sighted Ruger 44 Mag carbine.

They can devastate a sugar cane field, we used .22 lr on them. A head shot and it was lights out. Never had one not croak quickly if we did our part. My friend from Louisiana had a great jambalaya recipe for them.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.