Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum some time ago, & because I have a keen interest in revolvers I come here often to read & learn, well I am about to purchase a Ruger SP 101, and have been ever curious as to what you guys (gals)do to get that kind of finish on them? do you "sand" the sharp edges? or will rubbing compound take the edge off? I have read of the different grips (some are incredible) although mine will be a shooter so pachmayr will probably be my choice, with maybe a set for dress up! same with the holster I have gotten many Ideas on the forum. I would just like mine to look 1/2 as good as some I have seen here. Thanks for any & all in-put

·
Registered
109 Posts
What sort of finish do you want? Mirror, flat, bead-blasted? I saw an SP that had been melonited (if that is a word). It was beautiful.
Take some time to consider. Learn how to disassemble / reassemble the gun.
Even if you want only to polish the visible part of the trigger, you still pretty much have to know how to take the trigger guard assembly apart.
Ruger SP101 Trigger Job Guide . This is a great start.
I'll presume you're a young guy and have plenty of time. Removing big scratches is rewarding, if done correctly. Don't hurry through and make scratches more obvious.
Avoid power tools. You are not about to polish a chrome muffler.
I spent a few months polishing my SP101.
I believe Ruger intends their grips to be replaced. Check out altamontco.com.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
+1 on most of that. I agree; stay away from power tools they are almost always too aggressive and any material you take off can't be put back.

With you saying what your goals are we can't be too specific on what you need to do.

Are you talking about the external or the internal parts?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I love mine and its one of my primary SD guns - I keep it on my boat. The only maintenance is to oil once in a while to combat any corrosion. I have about 4000 rounds through it but it seems like new. The only modification is Hogue grips - fits like a glove.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
The hammer, & trigger & trigger guard on my SP101 were very sharp! The hammer had such a rough edge to it I could have easily cut the edge of my thumb! Normally the dremmel wouldn't have been used!!! I used a tapered dremmel disc & just gently hit the rough edges on the hammer & edge of the trigger & trigger guard. These newer Rugers are rough in finish have burrs etc compared to Rugers in the past. My SP101 is much nicer surprisingly the action & trigger pulls aren't too bad! I left the action as is its starting to smooth out. If you buy a SP101 look it over carefully before you buy it!! Rugers QC isn't nearly as good as it should be!!! I still consider the SP101 as a stouter revolver vs a S&W J frame but not as smooth of DA/SA as a S&W. My SP101 is getting better the more I use it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used to make cast silver jewelry, and long ago acquired a good set of jewelers files. Very small, very fine cutting files of assorted shapes. They have been invaluable in removing rough edges, recontouring curves, and whatever is needed or desired on so many items. I highly recommend them for tweaking your SP101. Fine grit sandpaper and appropriate 3M pads will keep it looking new. I just love stainless, no bluing to ruin match of redo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts